1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Fear of not getting well

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Barbara M, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Barbara M

Barbara M Peer Supporter

I awaken very morning and pain and symptoms and fear greets me.

The biggest fear is never getting my life back. the pains are overwhelming.

I would love help in dealing with these ovrwhelming thoughts.

Has anyone dealt with these issues and overcome them?

thank u

Barbara

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Yes, I've had that thought and the feeling of fear. And yet...a year after finding out about Dr. Sarno, I am recovered from TMS and no longer having horrible headaches, foot pain, etc.

One thing that helped me is Louise Hay's mantra, "it's only a thought, and a thought can be changed."

3. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

I am easily overwhelmed by my thoughts Barbara. I recently discovered Byron Katie. Her website, www.thework.com, and her books have been very helpful to me in regaining control. Her basic premise is that the thoughts overwhelm us because we unconditionally accept them as true rather than stop to question them. So far she has been right in my case. When I take one of my overwhelming thoughts and put it through her "work" steps I always have to realize that at least one of the turnarounds for the thought is more accurate than the original.

4. Lori

Lori Well known member

Yes. When I was having back pain, not even yet to the point where I was no longer able to work, I remember the fear when I woke up--fear of standing in the shower and having "the pain", fear of sitting in the car driving, fear that it would never go away, etc.

I got to the point after learning about TMS that I said to myself "your back is fine" and I continued "doing the work" as outlined by Dr. Sarno.

I would suggest journaling about fear of not getting your life back. Many of us on here, including me, got our life back after a lot of pain. It took time and work and effort, but it happened. And I'm very grateful. You can do it too.

5. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Lori,
    What were some things that really worked for you? What did you do when you got the pain? Did you just push through the pain? I find when
    I just push through the pain, I feel like I am showing the pain whose boss. What do you think?
    G.R.

6. Lori

Lori Well known member

GR: Lots of suggestions in my profile. A lot of revelations for me that I've noted in there.

I did push through the pain but eventually surrendered because I could no longer function; sit, walk, work. Went to doctors, took pills, p/t, they told me surgery was the answer. Learned of Dr. Sarno and hungrily read his books every day (was stuck in bed, so I read). I felt hopeful. I was fortunate enough to see him, accept that the herniated discs, DDD, etc. were not the cause of my pain. Realizing that was pivotal. Journaled a lot. Amazing what was (is?) in there.

Now once I was up enough to be able to go to work, which miraculously happened within two weeks of my appt. with Dr. Sarno, I had lingering issues with my tailbone. I was afraid to move certain ways because the doctor who delivered my son many moons ago told me that she heard my tailbone pop as I was pushing him out (I am not kidding!) and that was why I suddenly had lower back pain. (now of course I realize I was scared to death of having an infant to take care of!). Anyway, she told me it would never heal. Yup. never. So since I was still having the tailbone pain somewhat, I asked Dr. Sarno when I saw him at at event about a month later if what she said was true, my tailbone would never heal? "nonsense" he told me. After that I decided that I would do all the stuff that had "irritated" it in the past. The pain never has come back. So I decided that the false belief that I had harmed myself somehow would no longer be true for me. It really was that simple! Pretty cool!