I think the OCD/hypochondria is probably one of the common denominators for many of us.
I keep going to loved ones to confirm that I'll be "okay" too. But, that is keeping me stuck too, to always need comfort outside myself.
Pingman, your mother information is interesting to me because I was an unwanted 3rd child who arrived during a time of great financial stress for my parents. My mother probably shouldn't have had kids. She always talked about how she "had no life of her own." Anyway, I had little bonding with her, but tons of guilt for not feeling bonded to her or my siblings. I think there is a disconnection that still hurts us, whether we think we care about it or not, anymore.
It kind of makes sense that we are frightened by the thought of disability because we were denied "care" as little children. Just a thought.
Yeah, I imagine there is something to that thought. My dad use to brag on me as being so mentally tough when I was in my early teens and all through my 20's when I was single. He said my brother was weak minded because he couldn't handle my mom leaving us, couldn't deal with his girlfriends breaking up with him and always getting back together with them. I was the one who just carried on with my life. When a girl did me wrong I was done and moved on.
Quite possibly my way of dealing with it that my dad admired was me just stuffing everything down into that little black whole until I was married and settled in my 30's. I do sometimes look at my son and how much my wife and I care about him and wonder how my mom couldnt love me like that. I did everything right. I was a 4.0 student, captain on my sports teams in school. Went to college, got a great job and a wonderful christian wife by my side.
I think there is some baseline emotional problems setup by her and my respressed emotions.I even tried therapy for a few months where the therapist tried to get me to talk to my 'parts' to tell my protector part it was ok and let the feeling come to the surface so I could deal with it. I just couldn't make it happen.
I would say though that now that I am grown, I feel that same denied care and maybe the root of my current issues. I feel like my wife cares but doesn't invest any time to try and help me get over my TMS. If something was bothering her as mych as this is me I would go to the doctor with her and ask questions, read on the internet about TMS/nerve damage etc... I can't talk to my dad about it and I feel let down by my doctors. One said I had nerve inflammation and gave me shots, the second said I had nerve damage without ever touching my feet.
I feel very alone inside my head with my condition but yet I am not convinced that is causing it either.
As I was writing this I realized something. I really just feel alone. Not alone in the sense that I am actually alone, I have my family and my wife's family and acquaintances. I can't say that I have anyone in my life who I would say invests any real energy in my feelings, wants, likes.
And my reaction..... oh well I dont need anyone. I'm tough right?