1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (now US Daylight Time) . It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with MatthewNJ as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Eye floaters

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mncjl123, Jul 24, 2016.

1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

i just developed eye floaters or cobwebs in my eye site in the midst of all my hard TMS work. Are these TMS? So scared and frightened as vision is so vital and necessary. I love my eyes. What did I do to cause this?

2. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

No need to be scared or frightened, eyesight can be improved and stress does affect the eyes, that's why so many people have glasses. Dr. William Bates has the best info on the eyes. There is a reference to him on this forum: http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Vision_Problems (Vision Problems). My eye doctor told me I have beginning stages of cataracts last time I went to see him. So I started to do the research. And Bates is good. He is from the turn of last century however and there are practitioners who have learned the "Bates Method" for eyes. I really like Meir Schneider's book "Vision for Life". He does have specific exercises for floaters in his book. Most people don't tell you this, but vision can be improved! And not all eye exercises are created equal. I try to integrate healthy viewing practices into my daily life, so it doesn't seem like exercise (physiotherapy).

fredb and Tennis Tom like this.
  3. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Can you explain the exercises? I want this to go away.

4. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

You can google "Bates method" or Meir Schneider, there are many videos. Or get the books.

5. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

I had some floaters a few years ago that did an excellent job of scaring me and creating a lot of anxiety. I talked to my accupuncturist/chinese herbalist about them and he said not to worry. And then he told me how he gets them all the time! I asked him if it scared him and he said "nah, I'm used to it. Get 'em almost every time I bend over." Poof, mine just went away after that. So, I know they can be TMS related. And if I get some after writing this post, I'll know for sure!! haha

Tennis Tom likes this.
  6. Jason32

Jason32 Peer Supporter

Between 2004-2006 or so I had eye floaters and flashers bad- went to two eye Doctors who both told me it was fine. Usual symptom imperative kicked in at the time too- floaters disappeared, new symptom started. I used to obsess over my eyes all the time. Something I've learned though- eyes are actually very well protected and the brain can do an unbelievable amount of compensation for visual deficits (which is why a lot of people don't realize they need glasses until they have an eye exam).

Every adult will get floaters at some point as the vitreous from your eye slowly detaches. Floaters are the visual equivalent of tinnitus- it is something your brain should be tuning out, but isn't. There is a one in a million chance its not TMS and the vitreous can pull the retina away, but in that case you should also start with loss of peripheral vision. An eye Doctor can easily detect this in a routine exam though. You can have it checked out if you want, but once you're given the all clear you can treat it as TMS (if the retina is fine, the Doctor will probably tell you to learn to ignore it like he told me).

Bhamgirl and Tennis Tom like this.
  7. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Thanks. It is so hard as this huge spider web is all I see - all the time! I hope "this too will pass". You were very encouraging Jason.

8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

You've been given good advice by all the above. Bates method is complementary to Dr. Sarno. Eye issues are likely another TMS manifestation. If you'd like to learn more about vision/VISION do a search here and there should be some threads on it, I know I've written about it before. Also look up Dr. Roberto Kaplan, a world wide authority on vision/VISION, eyes and the mind, and the un-conscious. He's written several great books, has a web-site and travels the world lecturing.

What's revealing about your post is your initial reaction to your latest possible/probable TMS symptom--no one can dx you with certainty over the internet. You are "scared and frightened," exactly what the TMS gremlin was hoping for--another TMS symptom to distract you from your emotional/psychological issues, (see the RAHE-HOLMES list). The first thing you should do when you get a new possible TMS issue, is to look it up in a TMS book, like in SteveO's fine Appendix of TMS symptoms, or do a search here because it's highly unlikely that you are the first to have it.

The other thing I take from your post is your mention of "all the hard TMS work" you are doing. This shouldn't be that hard, it should be liberating and comforting. If it's hard maybe it's your TMS perfectionist personality demanding that it should be that way, otherwise you don't deserve to be happy.

Making TMS symptoms fade and become less frequent is about having a change of mind regarding what is going on in your psychology and changing your thinking patterns. Dr. Sarno calls it KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN, you just need to accept his theory, that TMS symptoms are benign, and are there to distract you from your unconscious gremlin's decision, that physical/affective pain is preferable to dealing with emotional pain head-on.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Ellen and Peggy like this.
  9. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

ok. I devoured the bates books! But, what I see is lots of practice and exercise! Again, doing something repetitive to try and heal! it is like physical therapy with the eyes. how is that like sarno? So confused. I am now diligently moving my eyes and doing exercises to get rid of these darn spiders in my eyes.

10. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

I think "cupping" the eyes is like a meditation, and falls under mindfulness.