1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Extinction Burst?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MissShamrocks, Nov 2, 2014.

1. MissShamrocks

MissShamrocks Peer Supporter

Something very interesting happened to me today and was curious if this has ever happened to another TMS'er (which I'm pretty sure it has)

I started getting migraines when I was 12 (around the time both of my parents got diagnosed with cancer) I had them up until about 4 years ago and then they suddenly stopped. I attributed this to my Mother's migraines also stopping in her 30's and didn't think much of it since...until I got one today.

I was devastated when the visual disturbances (aura) began. I thought to myself...."This can't be happening on top of my God awful pelvic pain"....then started with the "What if's", "Why's", etc. I gave myself a few minutes to freak out and then I thought to myself.....NOPE, not going to let this scare me! So I did what any rational TMS'er would do and started talking to my brain. I realized that this probably happened because I did some heavy duty emotional work with my TMS therapist yesterday which actually had to do with the time period when I first got my migraines.

The migraine pain wasn't nearly as bad as it was 4 years ago, in fact I was able to continue working, which was unheard of back then. Not sure if that was because of the "You're not taking me down with you today" talking to my brain stuff or just coincidence. The other interesting thing was that my sitting pain wasn't as bad today either. I'm wondering if the migraine was an extinction burst or if the work I did with my therapist was just really eye opening and my body reacted to distract me. Either way, I took the fear out of it (even though I seriously hope it doesn't happen again, haha) Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?

Bodhigirl likes this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

FYI, migraines were Dr. Sarno's personal symptom that were the precursor for his TMS theory. He discussed his migraines with a psychologist colleague who explained that they were psychosomatic. So, you're in Good Doctor company.

Bodhigirl likes this.
  3. MissShamrocks

MissShamrocks Peer Supporter

You are right, Tom!!! :)

4. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Loved reading this. Got a migraine three mornings ago - the aura began during my meditation! I almost laughed. I lay back and decided to enjoy the visuals and added a cup of coffee to my meditation, for good measure. I told my TMS/unconscious that it wasn't going to stop me. I took a 45 minute spin class and had a personal best! Three days later and my body is literally trying to get the flu (allergies and drama) so that I can suffer on my vacation. And the dull headache disappears and reappears, over and over again. I just keep acknowledging my inner infant self. I know, I know, it's scary, it's hard...

I know the feelings. I admit them to myself all day. Have for years. And I am so much better than I ever was!

Still, I feel the anxiety revving. Seeking outlets. Like pit stops in my body.

The republicans are debating in my living room. I am hiding in the guest room with the dogs. To my husband it's just entertainment while he works out. To me, it's tension producing.

If I went with Levine's model for somatic experiencing I would watch and practice moving my pain and tension around. Calming myself with each activation. Not up for it. Like I said, it's day three of the dull headache. Why push it?

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Nice writing there Bodhigirl! Just coming off a week of hay-fever myself. Flonase works for the symptoms--go with the flow. When all else fails, the Good Doctor rx'ed curling up with a good bottle of wine.

Cheers,
    tt/lsmft

tgirl and Mala like this.
  6. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Ha. Sober since 1985 so no wine. Just a good book, a couple of dogs and a power greater than my ego which resides within me.

Tennis Tom likes this.