1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Extinction Burst - Help Please?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Hopevsheadaches, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Hopevsheadaches

Hopevsheadaches Newcomer

Hello,

So I in well on my way having fully accepted my TMS diagnosis and I have already got rid of all my shoulder and neck pain, however I am working on overcoming my tension headaches and I was doing so well with this but now I have a brand new type of headache that I have never experienced before. It's this pulsating band around my neck and occipital area.

I just wondered if anyone had any tips for getting through an extinction burst? I keep telling myself...
    This is TMS and is harmless
    It is just an extinction burst
    This is a good sign
    I am safe in this body with this sensation

BUT its SOOOOOO hard but I can do this. I just wondered if anyone had any tips on getting through this. Should I keep trying to do normal activity too in this time?

Christie :)

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Christie,

Extinction bursts are extremely difficult to get through. They are scary, confidence-shuttering and also often more painful than initial symptoms. If an OTC painkiller, massage, PT or any other conventional modality can alleviate the pain, I would go for it temporarily, until it calms down. If you can tolerate it, just stick through it and continue whatever you have been doing. It may take couple days, but eventually should go away.

Best of luck!