1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

experience emotions vs thinking emotions

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Aug 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

I'm having extreme doubts with this. whenever my symptoms shows up I stop and THINK about what i did before the symptoms so it showed up. Example, I lifted something heavy and got lower back pain. then i stop and think"why did i just get lower back pain all of a sudden? o I lifted something heavy which caused the lower back pain, because I'm conditioned and feared to lift heavy stuff" this is thinking emotion right?
    but when someone says EXPERIENCE emotion. how do you really experience an emotion?

would be nice to give examples! :)

sorry for my english

2. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

Whenever I feel an emotion such as Anger, stress or Anxiety, it feels like a physical sensation of tightness in my chest.

stevow7 likes this.
  3. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

When your skin tingles from the sun on your face after a hard rain, and your eyes behold the magical rainbow that decorates the sky ... how do you feel? When someone you love is hurting, how do you feel? When something causes you embarrassment, what happens? When you listen to different kinds of music ... Notice how your body is reacting. What is taking place inside because of these emotions?

Sometimes it is hard to connect our emotions to our body with tangible awareness. It takes practice. Fear is an easy one. We all know that one quite well. But ALL emotions create a physical reaction. Don't judge what is happening ... just notice. Create awareness.

.... with Love and Gratitude ^_^

Ines, plum and Ellen like this.
  4. stevow7

thanks so much! so for my understanding. we're suppost to FEEL our emotions inside and not THINK of it and try to correct them?(example, today i got angry at let say, my boss, so i got pain in my lower back after meeting. then i get home and THINK "o i had pain because i got angry at my boss so i will talk to him tomorrow about it"?)

5. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

We cannot 'correct' emotions. They are what they are. We can control our behavior. And we can, with practice, begin controlling some of our thoughts. We can also, if it is appropriate, work on what caused the emotions. For example ... watching a sunrise made me happy and since I liked it so much, I will try to do it more often. Or, being around certain people makes me feel anxious, so I will try NOT to be around them anymore, or at least limit my time with them.

Our thoughts can get caught in terrible cycles and it takes concentration and much practice to break that cycle.

And it isn't so much about thinking positive thoughts as it is BEING positive thoughts.

"I am Love"
    "I am Radiant"
    "I am ... " (fill in any word you want).

This is different than saying "I want to be ........ (fill in any word)".

When you say "I am _____ " that makes your body react differently than saying "I want".

This morning, both my Mom and my Brother were in sour moods. And my husband is feeling down. So my right hip starts hurting. I have absorbed their energy into my body, and it has translated into pain. I know the cause, and I feel badly for what they all are going through. I do not feel badly that I am hurting because I know it will stop. Once I 'knew' why it was happening, and I knew it would stop ... my emotional response to that knowledge began to ease the pain.

I never push through the pain. To do so, for me, is like suppressing my emotions. If I ignore the pain, then I am ignore the emotion. Instead, I acknowledge it and nurture it and soothe myself with reminders that I will be okay, and life is beautiful and even though our valley is thick with smoke from fires, still ... the sun looks eerie and magical and very surreal, there is still beauty in the fiery haze.

I am hoping this makes sense :)

..... with Love and Gratitude ^_^

Ines and plum like this.
  6. ally okay

ally okay New Member

Quite a lot of 'emotions' come under the umbrella of fear. The encounter that you had with your boss that made you angry?, well that was fear. I am reliably informed that frustration, despair, anguish, irritation, annoyance, vexation all manifest as fear. So all of these emotions give me vaguely the same feelings, a shortness of breath, a feeling of tightness in my diaphragm area and a feeling of rising or swelling in my chest. I am now starting to notice this feeling and when it starts I tell my brain that everything is okay, that there is no danger and there is no reason for it to put my body in high alert. I take a couple of deep breaths and try to relax. If you have TMS and neural pathway pain your fear will be fuelling the pain. If you are 100% sure that there is nothing structurally wrong with you and that you are entirely capable of lifting something without causing yourself injury then it is your fear of the pain that is fuelling it. Your muscles, ligaments and tendons can only send danger signals to the brain, not pain or pain signals. It is up to the brain, upon receipt of this danger signal whether its worth creating pain, so to be clear, the brain creates the sensation of pain. Have a look at this. (I know, I never can be bothered watching videos either, but knowledge is power in the struggle with your back pain) Your brain stuck in high alert. Its aware that something is happening with your back and it magnifies the moment sensation (i.e. the muscles tendons and ligaments moving the body part) until it thinks that something is wrong and it sends out the pain sensation. So a few things need to happen. The brain needs to get out of its fight or flight mode its in, you do this by becoming more mindful, meditate, take care of yourself, stop talking to yourself badly. Stop putting yourself under pressure to be better, quicker, more productive, nicer, more attractive, fitter. You have to believe that you're just fine how you are. Then you have to address the anxiety (for me) substitute your own emotion, but probably fear, aka frustration, despair, anguish, irritation, annoyance, vexation, because this is feeding the pain. Identify the feeling, and this is where I have previously got it wrong, when they tell you to uncover repressed emotions, or 'feel more. think less', just be at one with the feeling, observe it, don't judge, or question it. Just experience it. And then do the same thing with your pain. Don't wish it away, observe it with curiosity, don't judge it or become frustrated, just be. To quote Alan Gordon, 'You don't have a pain problem, you have a fear problem' or rather I have as I can't speak for you but this is my experience and I hope it clarifies a few things for you.

plum and Lily Rose like this.
  7. stevow7

hello thanks a lot for this! to be honest the only thing i have is herniated disc l4-5 s1, but like steve'o said in his book and like dr darnos said in his. herniated disc does NOT cause pain. I also consulted with therapist saying that i do have tms and i certantly feel it. thanks alot!
    and to be honest, I have progressed so much! i can bend lift big and do a lotttt of stuff i wasnt able to do before. all because of fear. i will be posting a success story when i recover because its impressive how people say herniated disc causes pain when i literally can say otherwise and theres a lot of successful stories with herniated disc in it and they do crossfit and lift heavy now.

8. ally okay

ally okay New Member

Love your optimism. Take care.