1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Exercise

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Goldy, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I'm working on the Structured Program and had to write about how I felt about exercise.

I work out with a personal trainer twice a week. I got into it after seeing 7 physical therapists which did absolutely nothing for me. My present personal trainer thought they were all babying me. He's given me the confidence to know I can do it. He used to focus on my structural issues, but we have discussed that it's not going to be a topic anymore. He doesn't really understand the TMS, but he knows I'm improving, so he's going with the flow and respecting that I'm not going to focus on my symptoms. He always asks me how I'm doing before our workout, and I will answer very briefly, fine or the same. I'm NOT going to talk about my symptoms with him or anyone else. So on one day upper body, add one day lower half with him. I'm getting stronger. The other days, I either take a mile or so walk or bike for 30 to 45 minutes.

I know I'm supposed to work out as usual, but before all this, I was doing a strenuous yoga class and spin. Again, I know that I'm supposed to work out as usual, but my knees are tight all the time. I cannot do yoga right now the way I am. I cannot spin right now. Biking is fine, but standing on a bike is very difficult. I don't want to give in to myself, but don't I have to ease into these different exercises as my symptoms subside? I can't just ignore that my knees aren't stiff. This is the biggest obstacle for me.

As for the rest of my symptoms, I can talk to my brain and not react, and that's getting better, but both knees are constantly stiff. I don't know how to proceed with exercise other than doing the pt, biking and walking.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Goldy,

You may be trying too hard - mostly, perhaps, trying to do this "perfectly". You're already exercising more than most people, yet I sense that you're criticizing yourself for not addressing all of your symptoms. You might also be "calendar watching". Instead of giving yourself credit for what you've accomplished so far, and the improvements you are already experiencing.

Does any of this sound about right?

There is a classic post by Alan Gordon that talks about the concept of attaining "Outcome Independence". I recommend it.

Have you listened to any of the podcasts that I frequently recommend? Maybe you never came across one of those posts. The two I listen to every week for new insights and ongoing inspiration are:

The Cure For Chronic Pain with Nicole Sachs, LCSW - just start with #1 and keep going.

The Mind & Fitness Podcast, by Eddy Lindenstein. Eddy has a lot more episodes, because he started in 2017, before he even started talking about TMS, but since that breakthrough, he's had a bunch of terrific professional interviews. For the latest theories about the neuro-pathway component of TMS, you could start with episode #85, which is Eddy's interview with Dr. Howard Schubiner, but I also recommend interviews earlier this year with Dan Buglio (#70) and Andy Bayliss (#65). You can't go wrong listening to his three shows with Nicole Sachs, LCSW (#10, #37&38) and he's also interviewed Dr. David Hanscom (back surgeon turned mindbody advocate), Steve Ozanich (twice) and a bunch of other TMS luminaries - all with their own unique take on this condition we call TMS, in honor of Dr. John Sarno's original theories about the mindbody connection.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  3. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I am working hard at this; maybe too hard, but I'm being kind to myself, I think.

I'm used to exercising because for two years, I had physical therapist after physical therapist (seven of them). I did all my exercises diligently. It wasn't fun because I'd be doing them three times a day. I really hated it, but I was committed because I thought it would help me. It didn't do any good at all. It took me awhile to realize I didn't have to do this to heal. It wasn't working!

I think you are absolutely right; although, I'm not really calendar watching. I have accomplished a lot so far, so I need to focus on that..

I will look up the podcast. I did listen to the ones you suggested and got a lot out of it. I've listened to some twice; maybe more.

I have read Steve Ozanich's book and 1 1/2 books of Sarno's. Enrolled in Dr. Schubiner's program, have the Curable App. I follow Dan Buglio's posts on FB as well. Going to start therapy this week to see if she can help as well. I think I'm doing everything right, and I'm dedicated to this program. I just booked a vacation, and I'm going to a wedding this weekend and trying to live my life.

Oh, and I'm doing my best to stay away from doctors right now. I told my doctor I needed a break from her right now and postponed my physical. I know I'm healthy, so I felt I could do that. I don't need her to trigger "medical words" which I know will make me anxious!!!

I'm really trying to uncover the emotions that made me like this. A lot of sadness and fear, but no anger.