1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dread

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Looking for space, Mar 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Looking for space

Looking for space Peer Supporter

Im completing Alan Gordon's program, and learning a lot. I discovered that although im not afraid of pain,I hope he covers feelings of dread. I realized I have it at different levels throughout the week, and THAT feeling I don't like. I'm hoping even that feeling involves nueral pathways. Im not afraid of it, it just makes me very upset. But this program that Alan has designed is great. Ive actually learned a couple of things.
    Looking for Space

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

That's a really interesting statement, @Looking for space - because dread IS most definitely fear. So you have feelings of dread, which is the fear of something bad happening, but you don't fear this feeling of fear...

I'm not trying to mess with you here - I'm really curious how your brain is working right now. I wonder if you might be intellectualizing about your emotions, rather than truly getting in touch with them - the real ones, that is: the real, deep, dark, negative and dangerous emotions that are being extremely well-repressed by your unconscious fearful brain.

Just a thought.

Bodhigirl likes this.
  3. Looking for space

Looking for space Peer Supporter

You are correct,.Im not afraid of my pain, (as I stated) but, I don't like this feeling of dread which ebbs and flows. so I suppose I am afraid , I'm not trying to intellectualize my emotions. but, I'm hoping that dread and the reason for it is the same as pain, nueral pathsways. I'll keep doing said program and I'll know more. Deep dark emotions? Hmmm!
    Aaron

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  4. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Hi Aaron and glad you're here. I think what Jan's saying is that fear and dread are essentially the same thing: feelings that the ego designates as STAY AWAY - and gives us physical pain as a distraction or substitute. The recovery program helps us to accept we have lots of scary feelings, dread is one of them, it's a complex thing: feelings. So, the brain has wired itself to go to pain rather than feel feelings.
    Many of us have found meditation helpful. The Headspace app has wonderful programs for anxiety, pain, stress. The goal of mindful meditation is not to rid of us feelings but to enlarge our inner life so that we recognize feelings that arise - and more importantly - notice when they pass, which they always do.
    I've done Alan's program more than twice and I revisit it often.
    It's a great gift we've been given here: a community of healing... we become healers for each other.