1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Downton Abbey as a TMS pain reliever

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Aug 25, 2013.

1. tarala

tarala Well known member

While we are on the TV subject, does anyone else think Forest looks like the psychiatrist in Bones? Very sweet.

gailnyc likes this.
  2. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

Walt, I gotta tell you I was pretty ticked about the way Season 3 ended! There had been SOOOO much back and forth with those two, and then to kill him off - ugh! I know the actor wanted to leave the show, but this was one of the VERY rare situations where I would've preferred a replacement actor instead of a character death.

Thanks Plum and yb. It was a really awful time for my husband and me. This person had given us a lot of inspiration and kindness, and was almost a superhero to us. I could go on but I think I'm going to do a separate post about this.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I felt the same... anger and disappointment when Matthew was killed off.
    I seldom get that involved in a movie or tv show but that got to me.

I doubt Mary will ever find anyone to replace him.

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I saw a fantastic movie a couple of nights ago which I heartily recommend. It's a quirky, dark comedy called 'Harold and Maude'. Made in 1971, I learn it is something of an underground cult classic. It's immediately entered my top 5 favourite films of all time because it is one of those life-affirming, feelgood gems that you want everyone you love to watch.

5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I love foreign films, too. I like the idea of calling it 'therapy' to watch films. They are distractions far superior to what my unconscious comes up with.

I just re-watched one of my favorite foreign films--a Swedish film called 'As it is in Heaven'. It's about a small community that is transformed by their participation in a choir. It's available on Netflix.

6. Ellen

I love this one, too, Plum. I haven't watched it in awhile. Thanks for reminding me of it.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

"Harold and Maude" is fun.

I'll rent "As Is Is in Heaven." I didn't know about it. Thanks.

I'm re-watching DOWNTON ABBEY. Just spent 3 nights watching season one and
    will watch 2 and 3 next. I'm finding things I didn't notice before.

8. tarala

tarala Well known member

For those who liked As It Is In Heaven, Les Choristes is great too.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I've ordered As It Is in Heaven from Netflix and if they have
    Les Choristes I'll get that, too. Thanks.
    I love good movies about good music.
    Have you seen The Quartet? A delightful new British movie.

10. tarala

tarala Well known member

Yep, that's a good one too. Walt, did you see Flambard's? Like Candleford, but even older. Oh sorry, I think I'm mixing up threads here.

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

No problem mixing up threads.
    I thought Maggie Smith and Tom Courtenay made a great couple in QUARTET
    and read that they're going to make another movie together.

I don't remember Flambards but will look into it.

12. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Walt, I am a HUGE DA fan! Though I'm not happy with how the season ended. :( My other favorite PBS series is Foyle's War. I even wrote on my calendar when the new episodes are coming out this month. (YAY!) And if you haven't seen The House of Elliot, it's another FABULOUS period series...set in the 1920s. Oh...and then there's Poirot.

When I watch these shows, I'm always reminded of how fortunate I am to live in the period in which I do....indoor plumbing...hot water on demand...coffee makers.... :p

Can you tell I'm a PBS junkie?

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I didn't like them killing off Matthew either. We waited so long for him and Mary to be happy together, it was shame to let him go.
    I also like Foyle's War very much. Michael Kitchen is great. I first saw him in OUT OF AFRICA, as Robert Redford's friend.
    I've seen House of Elliott but should watch it again. I'm a PBS junkie and happy to say so. American television used to put out
    some great miniseries, but they haven't for years. Maybe the success of DOWNTON ABBEY will get them back into it.

14. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

Looks like I have a lot of new shows and movies to add to my list ;-)

15. Ellen

Wait! They killed off Matthew?! I totally blocked that out. Guess I better re-watch the last season of Downton Abbey before the new one comes out.

And find Les Choristes, too.

16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I've ordered LES CHORISTES from Netflix. Thanks.

17. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Dr. Sweets! Yeah, I can see a bit of a resemblance.

Have you ever seen the tv series Freaks and Geeks, from around 1999? The actor who plays Sweets was in it as a young boy. It's very strange to see him so young, if you know him from Bones! It's a good show though it was only on for one season--worth tracking down.

18. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

I love this thread! I often engage in television therapy. I find it a good way to wind down from the day. There are some shows that don't really soothe, but rather activate my nervous system instead, so I can't watch those at night. However, most of those mentioned here are soothing.

Someone mentioned The Forsyte Sage, so I want to add my voice to that recommendation. A really good mini-series from around 2003, it stars Damien Lewis (now on Homeland) and Rupert Graves (now on Sherlock). It is a (melo)drama about a family that covers about 40 years, late 1800s to early 1900s. Really good stuff if you like period drama.

Another show that hasn't been mentioned but that I find soothing as a cup of tea is Inspector Lewis, which gets shown here in the USA on Masterpiece Mystery. It's a sort of sequel to Inspector Morse, which I didn't like as much. If you like Foyle's War I think you will like Inspector Lewis.

NolaGal likes this.
  19. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

One of the UK shows I enjoy for an hour of escapism is called Doc Martin. It's a very light comedy about a grouchy doctor and is set in a quaint Cornish village. I checked and it is available on Netflix in case it takes anyone's fancy. My other half watches it and he can be a real fusspot...a bit like Doc Martin himself.

20. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Him girls. I love the Doc Martin series. He's wonderful and the cast is great.

I also like Inspector Lewis and Morse.

I liked The Forsyte Saga and Rupert Graves is a favorite of mine,
    but I loved the original series. See that one if you can.

Another great Masterpiece Theater series was The Duchess of Duke Street.
    It has kind of an Upstairs, Downstairs story. Rags to riches in a hotel.