1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Downton Abbey as a TMS pain reliever

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Aug 25, 2013.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Some recent posts on TMSWiki are from people who ask how they can take their mind off their pain.

Try watching the first three seasons of DOWNTON ABBEY, the fantastic Public Television Masterpiece Theater series. It's so terrific, about those living upstairs and downstairs in a gorgeous British manor house in the 1920s and 1930s, you will forget your aches and pains. Maybe you'll think yours are not so bad compared to theirs.

The fourth season begins on television in early January, but now would be a good time to watch the first three seasons to prepare for the fourth. Or if you've already seen them, watch them again.

Millions of people all over the world have become fans of the series and it's no wonder, it's such a
    fantastic drama/comedy with great characters, actors, settings, and stories.

It's like they bottled it to take our minds off our TMS pain.

downton abbey art.JPG

gailnyc and G.R. like this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Aye. A trailer on tele just teased the senses.
    As a kid we watched Upstairs, Downstairs. Anyone remember that?

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hope you watch all of Downton Abbey, plum. I love it and it sure
    takes my mind off everything while I watch.

In one episode, one of the daughters is jilted at the altar and
    her mother consoles her by saying "You're being tested,"
    meaning that she will be strong enough to survive.

I think a lot of us who had or still have TMS pain are being tested,
    and we will survive. As the song says, "We shall overcome."

gailnyc likes this.
  4. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Walt,
    I just love Downtown Abbey. I have only seen the first season; so this is such a good reminder to watch the other two seasons.

When I was trying to distract myself from the symptoms in the spring, I watched Upstairs, Downstairs which I think is
    equally as wonderful. You can get Upstairs, Downstairs on Netflix. It has a lot of history woven into it.

Also, you can get the first season of Downtown Abbey on Netflix.

Walt, I do think that going through TMS definitely develops perserverance and character; and realizing a deeper
    sense of who you are and how strong you are!!!
    G.R.

gailnyc likes this.
  5. leonardo999

leonardo999 Well known member

The majority of UK TV is mind numbing.... but this is the exception !

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I guess we get the best of UK television on PBS.

I also watched the entire UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS and it's also great.
    I love most Masterpiece Theater series, going way back to the first ones.
    THE FORSYTE SAGA, LOVE FOR LYDIA, THE DUCHESS OF DUKE STREET
    and of course BRIDESHEAD REVISITED. They're for people who love a good story
    that goes to the mind and heart, not the rear end.

gailnyc likes this.
  7. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Accessible to those of us too that were raised in the English literary tradition. Chaucer, Shakespeare, Spencer, Dryden, Alexander Pope, Dr. Samuel Johnson, Lord Alfred Tennyson. Those UK PBS specials are like going home to the English Department. Island Studies anyone?

8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Heads up for UK members, series 1, 2 and 3 of Downton Abbey are available on lovefilm instant and for rent.

Leo's right, British tv is awash with the dregs of pop culture (same world over), but when they make something good, it's a corker.
    I would highly recommend 'Sherlock'. Trust me, I was ready to be disappointed but instead was blown away. The beeb did us proud.

Not sure if people in other lands can access BBC4 via modern gizmos but it is also very good. They've run some fab programmes on singer~songwriters. Anyone remember those rare birds? Believe they've been rendered largely extinct by vocal excitors and pro-tools...

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I too like the new Sherlock series.
    I grew up on the Basil Rathbone-Nigel Bruce movies and still love them
    but a few years ago watched the BBC series with Jeremy Brett as Holmes
    and still think it's one of the best.

A good movie of any kind can help us not feel our pain, at least for two hours.

10. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Walt, you can't beat the classics and especially those that remind us of good times growing up. I think this is why I adore black and white movies (weekend viewing as a kid) and Harold Lloyd (essential after school viewing while mum made tea). I feel all warm and fuzzy when I think about. Wow, what a lovely thread you've started.

Here's a link that may be of interest. It was provided by Jared at tmshelp a few months ago. It's a cinematherapy site so an interesting resource for those who may want to add some catharsis or insight to their viewing pleasures.

http://cinematherapy.com/filmindex.html

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, plum. I'll look at the cinematherapy site. It sounds great.

I too love the old movies about good times growing up. One of my favorites (although in color) is
    MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS. The old black and white A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN was very close
    to my own boyhood, although mine was in Chicago.

Lots of young people today won't watch movies made in black and white. They're missing a lot.

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

hi again, plum.
    Thanks loads for telling me about cinematherapy. I went to the site and it sure has great stuff
    on how movies can help us think about what might cause our TMS pain and help us with our
    repressed emotions. I just posted about it at the site Steve Ozanich began about a month ago:
    TMS and Pop Culture.
    Many new movies are just awful, but some do cover subjects worth thinking about.
    I just avoid the ones where the list of people doing the special effects are four to ten times
    longer than the list of actors in the film. haha.

13. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Walt, I'm delighted that you love the site. There really is a wealth of information. One aspect I treasure is the way the theory endorses instinctive feelings about films (and by extension, all tv). I'm ever so mindful about what I watch and as a big movie buff, this sense is heightened. Most modern movies are terrible, all arguements, car chases, gratuitous sex and violence, ugh...awful. The old movies have charm, glamour, depth and complexity at the heart. The last black and white film I watched was 'The Rocking Horse Winner' based on a D.H.Lawrence short story of the same name. Talk about repressed emotions!

14. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

Wow, Plum - I didn't know "The Rocking Horse Winner" was ever made into a film. I remember the short story very well. I read it years ago and it came to mind earlier in the summer when a dear friend of mine took his own life because of overwhelming financial issues. I will look for the film.

I'm also very excited about the concept of cinematherapy. I love movies and a lot of the high-quality TV shows that have been coming out recently (Downton Abbey being one of them.) I think stories - whether they are read, watched live in a theatrical performance, in film or TV, or experienced through music or art - can help us learn a lot about ourselves. They can also give us a nice break, just like Walt said in the first post.

15. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have always been an avid fan of foreign flicks. The other week I saw the DVD film called Untouchable, absolutely brilliant French film that went down a storm in Europe. The thing about subtitles is that you can't let your mind wander. You have to maintain concentration, something I that's been an issue for me lately. My hubby remarked an hour into the film that I hadn't moved, groaned, whined or complained about any physical pain at all while watching the film. Hmmm, definitely one to put on the Evidence Sheet.

16. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

NolaGal, may God bless your friend. I am so very sad to hear of this. Beyond the immense sadness of the tragedy lies the truth that someone, somewhere could have helped. As ruthless as institutions are there are always people with heart and understanding. I have a dear family member who has voluntarily worked as a mediator in such situations so while it remains rarer than rare, it exists. I pray one day it will be commonplace. They began their work after a bitter, bitter experience so they have immense compassion.

The Rocking Horse Winner is on youtube somewhere. That's where we found it. I did have a look for the link but it is elusive this morning. Maybe you'll have better luck. It was made in 1949.

My best and most peaceful wishes for you.

17. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

yb44, also love foreign movies. French films are exquisite, such a beautiful language and the way they express nuances of feeling are a treat. I've not seen Untouchable so shall add to my rental list. Some great movies have come out of Korea and the Latino countries. Like music, song and dance, movies capture the quintessential nature of the human being irrespective of the chance-happenings of birth. I find that helps you take your situation less personally. Maybe that helps pain ease off a bit.

yb44 likes this.
  18. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

NolaGal, I apologise for not acknowledging your post. Very sorry to hear that your dear friend felt unable to overcome his financial difficulties and took his own life. We do move on after these tragic events in our life but part of us gets left behind.

19. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

The Rocking Horse Winner is available at Netflix. It's a fascinating movie.

We only get to see the best of foreign films, and I watch many of them and find they have good
    stories and are often about relationships.

20. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I hate to rush time, but can't wait for the fourth season of DOWNTON ABBEY in early January.

I hope Mary takes her time finding a new man in her life. I read about the three she will meet but none
    of them sounds like they could fill her heart as Matthew did.