1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (now on US Standard Time) . It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Does anyone here have 'Benign Fasciculation Syndrome'

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Some Guy, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy New Member

Hi,

Does anyone here have BFS or BFS symptoms? I know there were a few threads on it but curious if anyone is active? Thanks!

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I have all sorts of fasciculations, muscle twitches etc. Never really thought much of them really, since they are totally benign. I really don’t think they are a “syndrome”.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Huh, had never heard the word Fasciculation before. I've also had twitchy things in all kinds of body places for decades, and like Cactusflower, at some point early in my life I decided they weren't worth worrying about. Sometimes they are momentary, sometimes they last for minutes or even hours, sometimes they'll bug me off and on for days - until they don't. The most common twitch that recurs is in one eyelid and that can go on for a few days, but I can't even remember which one it is, that's how little I care. It wasn't BFS that brought me to Dr Sarno's work and this site way back in 2011.

But anyways, I love this term, Benign Fasciculation Syndrome, which I get to add to my list:
    One word that only describes the symptom, literally translated as "muscle twitch".
    One adjective stating that it's harmless.
    And "Syndrome" tacked on to the end.​

They almost always tack Syndrome at the end (fibro being a notable exception):
    Fibromyalgia (translates as "pain in the fibrous tissues")
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
    and many others, including, I am quite sure, Benign Fasciculation Syndrome
    And OMG, our fear-based TMS brains absolutely love an official-sounding diagnosis!

These phrases are given significance by the medical establishment, so it's up to us to learn that they are merely
    impressive combinations of words that sound to us non-medical folks like a pathological diagnosis, but which are nothing of the sort, because the words do not describe any kind of pathology. These names are being used to replace the real answer, which is "we have no idea why this occurs, but don't worry about it (and if we as an industry were willing to be open-minded and honest, it's probably because you show signs of anxiety, stress, perfectionism, goodism, and in some cases depression, OCD, and possibly PTSD)" .

Unlike the majority of the medical establishment, Dr Sarno started to pay attention to the personality characteristics of the people coming to him with their chronic symptoms. And although he created his own "Syndrome" phrase to describe it, he also had the correct advice to treat it.

It's not necessarily easy, but one of the requirements for recovery is to let go of things that encourage an obsession with or a focus on pathology. A healthy start would be to stop using the term BFS and just refer to your symptoms as muscle twitches (where they occur doesn't matter). Do the emotional work we talk about and offer here (for free), exactly the same as anyone with back pain, or any of us with long lists of other stress-based symptoms.

tgirl likes this.
  4. michaelg21

michaelg21 Peer Supporter

I fell down the benign fasiculation syndrome rabbit hole. My legs twitched 24/7 for 9-10 months or so (when I say 24/7, I mean they literally crawled with twitches, as many as one twitch per second all day long). The truth is, it's actually pretty common for muscles to twitch at a relatively high frequency, but most people don't even notice them. I sat and watched my partners legs twitching and she was blissfully unaware they were even going. I never told her, as I don't want to drag her down the rabbit hole as well lol. Although BFS is not a pain condition, I believe it falls under the same umbrella as TMS/neuroplastic pain or whatever you want to call these sorts of things. Basically your nervous system is on high alert and becomes more sensitive, making you more prone to noticing things that once went unnoticed. This is entirely reversible, so no need to worry. On top of the twitching my legs used to feel like they had ants crawling all over them, water was running down them, internal vibrations, you name it. All of those sensory symptoms are long gone, because I have no fear attached to them anymore. Even if they came back, I wouldn't care, therefore they wouldn't become chronic again. I think the muscle fibers in my legs still twitch as much as they used to, I just don't feel them anymore, again because there is no fear there so my brain doesn't focus on them. Attempting to ignore them is a fools game, you can't force yourself to not notice them. You have to work on bringing down the fear that surrounds your symptoms and your brain will let go all by itself.

A word of advice, stay away from BFS forums. Most people there complain, saying things like "I used to be anxious, but now I'm not since the neuro cleared me of MND/ALS. But, I still twitch all the time, I need to know why, it's incurable and is going to ruin my life, it isn't just anxiety.....etc". They fail to realise how anxious they are, and the fear of noticing their twitches forever is the very thing that forces them to notice their twitching. Once you reach a point of believing "yeah, I twitch, so what", they melt into the background and you never notice them.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    JanAtheCPA and tgirl like this.