1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Doctor

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MSZ812, Mar 28, 2017.

1. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

The most disheartening thing a doctor has said to me? "I'm baffled".

It was 2015, and I was now at my 4th or 5th appointment that year regarding my shoulder. First, I was told to ice it, take Motrin, and rest it because it was likely a result of "overuse". The second appointment, a few weeks later, resulted in an x-ray referral. Results were negative. About a month after the x-ray, I was scheduled for an MRI. Before the MRI results were in, I had a particularly bad flare up and found myself at urgent care, where I was given a pain killer shot. Finally, my doctor wanted to go over the MRI. He said that it was completely clear. So clear, in fact, that my doctor declared it the healthiest shoulder MRI he had ever seen. He even mentioned wanted to use it in the future to compare it with "the bad ones". During this conversation, he admitted to having no idea where my pain was coming from. More physical therapy, more pain pills, and apparently more pain was in my future. "Disheartened" was a great word to describe what I was feeling at that moment. I felt as though this pain was now a permanent fixture in my life.

Thankfully, it was soon after that appointment that I found a video by John Stossel on Dr. Sarno and his success treating chronic pain. I was intrigued. I read the book, started the Structured Educational Program. I didn't stick with it, which is why I'm back here. This time, I am determined to stick this out until I'm pain free.

- Matt

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Matt. Many doctors are baffled when they can't find anything structurally wrong with a patient who is in pain. They've been trained to push pills. Fortunately, the TMS word is getting out, that emotions are often the cause of physical pain.

Be sure to stick with the SEProgram this time. It healed me of severe back pain, as it has healed many others with a wide range of symptoms. You came to the right place to heal. Journaling will help you to discover the emotions causing your pain. Try not to look at the program as a chore. Look at the program positively, that it is a blessing because it is going to heal you. To me, TMS pain was a blessing in disguise.

MSZ812 likes this.