1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Doctor said change your profession

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by rsintms, Jan 14, 2014.

1. rsintms

rsintms New Member

Hi

I am new to this forum. I am suffering from RSI for the past 2 years.In the last two years I have tried physio, accupunture and massage with no long term result. MRI didnt show anything. I had to quite my job due to this pain in my wrist while using computer mouse. I am an accountant and worked on spreadsheets all day. My doctors has found nothing wrong with the structure of my hand but said I should change my profession. I have worked hard for this proffession and felt sad to hear this from my doctor. I have read Dr. Sarno's book and going through the structured program on this site. I am sure that I have TMS. My question is

Do I realy have to change my proffession? Please help with your experiences. Thanks

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the forum, rsintms. I actually had the same thing happen to me. In the early 90s, my physiatrist told me that because of my tendonitis, I would probably never be able to be a programmer. Now I program all that I want. You can read my success story here:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/2-my-success-story.127/

Other RSI success stories can be found here:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Repetitive_Strain_Injuries_-_RSI

I'd recommend seeing a TMS doctor in your area. It is always important to do this because only a doctor can diagnosis TMS. However, in your case it will be especially helpful in counteracting the negative effects from the pronouncement of your original doctor.

3. rsintms

rsintms New Member

Thanks Forest

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest's suggestion is good, to consult a TMS doctor, if you can.
    If there is none nearby, and your medical checkup found nothing structurally wrong, then
    you may not have tendonitis. Dr. Sarno says if we think we're going to be in pain if we
    work at a computer, or stand or walk or sit, we can feel pain in those activities.

Even if you do have tendonitis, like Forest you can heal by following TMS techniques that
    you'll see in the posts on the TMSWiki forums.

It sounds like your pain is TMS from one or more repressed emotions. You like your job and shouldn't
    have to give it up. Work on TMS re's and, like hundreds of others, you will not feel pain
    anymore.

Think on what's going on in your life now, or recently, that may have "triggered" a repressed emotion
    from the past, especially from your childhood. That's where Dr. Sarno says most TMS pain comes from.

Maybe someone told you there is no Santa Claus when you were a boy, like my older brother and sister
    told me. I was heartbroken, disillusioned, and then asked "Then there isn't any Easter Bunny either?"

That wasn't my main repressed emotion, but I don't think it helped. haha