1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Do you work in a high-status environment?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by livelife2bepainfree, Jan 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. livelife2bepainfree

livelife2bepainfree Peer Supporter

Two weeks before they invaded Iraq, soldiers of the 82nd Airborne Division, experienced their distress differently.

Compared with combat-naïve soldiers, combat veterans denied emotional symptoms—such as anxiety, irritability, depression—and instead reported more physical symptoms—such as back pain, hiatus hernia, headaches, digestive issues, insomnia or sexual difficulties.

There is less of a stigma attached to seeking help for physical rather than psychological problems in high-status, high-stress worlds.

That’s why you may deny your emotional pain and instead express it through amplified physical symptoms—a process called somatisation.

Think about it.

Would you rather complain to your colleagues about your depression or your back pain? :)

Loving you, Angelos

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

That's totally in line with Sarno's findings. In "Healing Back Pain" he cited a couple of different military studies. In particular the guys with major battlefield wounds NOT needing Morphine... the relief at being pulled out of battle and being relieved of the possibility of being killed at any moment seemed to eradicate their pain?

One of the times I need to be most 'Mindful' of TMS is on the first day of any new construction project. I have been a tradesman my whole life (55) and yet I suppose there is a little voice down there going 'I don't know what the F I am doing' while my conscious mind is saying "Sure bro! No problem....we'll knock this out in no time!"

I suppose the more I am supposed to know what I am doing, the more unconscious anxiety and fear I generate. It always went away on day two. Now it doesn't come ever, but I start jobs by saying to myself "I don't know what the F I am doing, BUT it'll get done anyways". It's odd how simple acknowledgement of our feelings is enough to defuse it.

awesome post.

3. livelife2bepainfree

livelife2bepainfree Peer Supporter

Yes, Baseball65!!!! You are seeing a lot! That's right!

There is a lot of information behind your statement above. Can you go deeper? Why should you always know what you're doing? What are the consequences of not knowing what you're doing? Your unconscious is trying to protect you there by making sure you know what you're doing. What's behind this statement?

Be well, Angelos

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Being exposed as worthless. Not being good enough. Not being able to support myself and ultimately, being alone.

There is a Fear inventory in the 4th step of the 12 step program. It asks you to make a list of your fears and then to keep reducing them with a 'Why do we have that fear?" ...distill them down to purity. Regardless of what the original fear is, they all end up at "Because then I'd be alone" or "Because then I wouldn't know what to do" (the unknown), or some version of that.

That is why it is a spiritual program. When one is dependent on God, one doesn't worry about the outcome. When I was dependent on myself, I was always worried about the outcome (anxiety)

As regards fending off pain, all I have to do is be intellectually aware of the conflict of motives. As regards God, I need to laugh at them and see how shallow and paltry they really are.

backhand and Balsa11 like this.
  5. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

" This is not about becoming superhuman. This is about realizing being human is super." - Sadguru Jaggi Vasudev

Regardless of whether or not you are religious, body gratitude is so powerful.