1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Do I need a proper TMS diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by maracox, Aug 8, 2015.

1. maracox

maracox New Member

Hello everybody,

I use this post also to introduce myself. My name is Marco from Germany. I'm 46 and fighting "RSI" for 20 years now. I tried everything and even found Sarno first about 15 years ago. This is the 3rd time to give TMS a try. The first two times I was not persevering enough. After a first burst of hope and enthusiasm with an accompaning decrease in symptoms I just made it too easy for my mind pulling me back into agony.

This time I experienced again how hope increased and pain decreased initially and I try to stick with the TMS strategy. I started the SEP 2 weeks ago. I already became somewhat "lazy", didn't do it every day, feel some resistance to journaling and doubt crept in.

Also I have a big increase in symptoms right now, maybe my mind fighting back - maybe I overdid physical activity and I have a real tendinitis flareup ...

To my question: I have no access to a TMS diagnosing doctor in Germany and base my belief on what I read and self diagnosis. In TMS questionaires for self diagnosis the outcome is mostly "likely to have TMS", so it remains somewhat vague.

I do have a lot of traumatic events and stressors in the past not so much in the presence, but did also a lot psychotherapy about it already. The hand pain hinders me playing guitar which is extremly important for me. I even used to say with no guitar my life makes no sense and I better die. I understand that this kind of fears and thinking can strongly amplify and sustain pain perception. Concerning personality traits I'm certainly somewhat driven and nerdy but otherwise seemingly don't fit the TMS scheme. So it's a mixed bag all in all.

Do You think I have TMS or need a proper TMS diagnosis to proceed?

Thank You all, Marco

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

ABSOLUTELY! Getting a TMS DX from a TMS savvy physician is the best thing you can do to convince your Sub-C. White coats are the shamans of our age, you walk out of your doc's office feeling GREAT or depressed depending on what s/he told you. Do you ever go on vacation! Why not combine a work-up with a TMS physician with one, some of them are in nice locations. There's a list of TMS doctors at this site. How much is your life worth to you? Your insurance may cover it or they are about $500 cash , which is very reasonable weighed against the small fortunes spent on the standard remedies that we've all wasted money on getting here--no one comes here first, it's usually the last pain stop out of desperation.

3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I think if you read back your post you will see it is TMS. Any real physical damage will heal. If pain carries on - its TMS! I wasted over 20 years trying every therapy pill and potion to get rid of my fibromyalgia. It was only by following the Structured Educational programme and reading Sarno and others books, that I healed. I still meditate, practice mindfulness and occasionally journal, and that way I stay pain free. It will still flare up on occasion - but I look for the psychological/emotional cause and then it disappears... You have to be strict with yourself. If you want to heal you need to do the TMS work, you need to be kind to yourself and you need to ensure you do it all without putting unreasonable pressure on yourself! No one said it would be easy...
    But I guarantee - it is SO SO worth it!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

If you had a physical checkup and it shows no structural damage, then the symptoms are probably and most likely emotional, from TMS.

And even if an X-ray or MRI shows something structural, it may not be causing pain. The pain may still be caused by TMS.

I agree with Hecate. Believe in TMS and follow the Structured Educational Program to discover the emotions that cause you pain.
    It is a wonderful journey toward healing and self-discovery that will make you healthier and happier than you ever imagined possible.

SunnyinFL and hecate105 like this.
  5. maracox

maracox New Member

@Tennis Tom: Thanks for Your comment. I might contact Geordie Oldfield. She is probably the nearest practicioner who could do a diagnosis.

@Hecate and Walt: I can very much relate to Your comments!

I think my main concern is this: I was/am very much convinced of TMS. So with confidence I started playing a lot guitar despite of the pain and hoped for some kind of breakthrough. But I wasn't prepared for the now worsening. My symptoms aggravated a lot and made me cancel a gig tomorrow. It's like the mind striking back with all its might to keep its grip on me. And it was successful in confusing me and make me doubt. I just wasn't prepared that it might turn into this so quickly ...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  6. riv44

riv44 Well known member

It sounds TMSy to me!