1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Do I Have TMS ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kk900, Dec 13, 2017.

1. kk900

kk900 New Member

Hello

I am writing from Italy (sorry for my english) to ask if you think I have TMS and if so what I should do.

My life has been a nightmare since 1995 when I was 18, I had a huge problem with my wrists apparently because I played the electric solo guitar too much , too many hours every day without ever resting for a day, when the problem started it was only a minor problem/pain but I went on and on playing for about 6 months without a day of rest even I clearly felt that the problem was getting worse and eventually the wrists were so soaring that I had to completely stop.

Since then I basically haven't been able to play at all because of the huge pain I get if I do.
    This has been devastating for me psychologically.

No doctor/expert (I have been visited by so many for these 2 decades) has ever been able to improve my situation, not even partially. They do not even know what I have, all exams are negative (x-ray, multiple MRIs, blood exams, electromyography, ecography), there's no clear diagnosis after 22 years !

If I rest and don't do anything complicate with the wrists, I can do all the normal things of life without any problem and pain, even typing on the keyboard many hours a day is completely pain free. If for example I carry heavy weights I do get pain.

If I play the guitar 10-15 minutes the pain is so huge that I must rest for 2 weeks, yes 2 weeks, to slowly calm the pain and get back to the starting point.
    The pain is located in the wrists only, no pain in the fingers and forearms.

I have tried many therapies as if it was a problem with tendons but zero improvement ever.

I have read that TMS people tend to be perfectionists, well surely I am, that's why I was playing so many hours a day, to improve as much as possible, it was basically an obsession.

Looking forward to your answers, I am really way beyond desperation after 22 years, Thank you very much in advance

Rocco

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Your many doctors could find nothing wrong? And it only happens when you play guitar, not when you engage in other activities? Sure sounds like TMS to me.

Perfectionism and even obsessiveness are traits common to many of us with TMS. The good news is you have come to a wonderful place to discover more about TMS and chat with other people who have been dealing with it. There are many, many people who have been healed of their TMS. You can read Success Stories here: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/forums/success-stories-subforum.27/ (Success Stories Subforum)

It's very helpful and encouraging to read these while you are working on your own healing.

Have you looked at Alan Gordon's Pain Recovery Program on this site? It's free and has been invaluable to me.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/ (Pain Recovery Program)

Your English is just fine, Rocco.

3. douggie

douggie Peer Supporter

I had rsi (wrists and hands) and lower back pain for about 4 years before i found out it was TMS. Recovery has changed my life. Truly a miracle. I would give it a shot if i were you.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Rocco,

Yes, it is probably TMS, based on what you say. Dig deeply into Dr. Sarno's work and do the programs at the Wiki.

I could hardly walk for several years, and now I am back skiing. I felt very old, and now I feel young again. The medical world does not understand what those of us who have had success here do: that chronic pain is almost never related to the physical. It is "psychogenic."

I think if you are persistent you will find your way out of this!

Andy B