1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

dizziness

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Jan 13, 2013.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

My subconscious mind has stopped the back pain
    but now I feel some vertigo and dizziness.

Sarno says on page 142 of HEALING BACK PAIN
    that TMS can cause "dizziness (often)."

So that's what's going on.
    Anyone else suffer from this?

eric watson and Jilly like this.
  2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I know that while I was doing the mental exercises in Howard Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain sometimes in the morning when I first woke up I'd feel some vertigo if I turned my head too rapidly in one or the other direction. Seemed as though when my lower back pain started to decrease, the vertigo started up, but disappeared after a few days. It was one of those symptom substitutions that disappear when you stop paying attention and remembering them. It was like my mind needed something else to obsess about after the more painful back pain symptoms started to subside. I guess Dr Sarno is right again as usual: dizziness and vertigo function, like frequent urination and tension headaches and so many other funky symptoms, as TMS equivalents. But my vertigo subsided after I woke up and got out of bed, as if it only existed in that borderline area of my mind between sleeping and waking. Hope your vertigo and dizziness will soon disappear, Walt, just as mine did.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Thanks for this. It's not as bad as on the first day last week.
    I think it came on from being mad as hell at new work from my boss.
    Frustration, anger, rage can all bring on TMS.
    I also agree with you about my subcon giving me substitution symptoms.

I keep learning.

eric watson likes this.
  4. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

For me, diziness is usually associated with anxiety and I think of it as another TMS-type thing.
    Hope you feel better soon.

JanAtheCPA, eric watson and Jilly like this.
  5. tarala

tarala Well known member

I definitely have found lightheadedness to be a TMS symptom. It makes sense, if a TMS mechanism is altering blood flow. Hope you are better soon Walt.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Veronica and Tarala, thanks to you both. My dizziness may be from an ear infection but I doubt it.
    I agree it is from anxiety. I got more work from a very demanding boss and it was on top of work he
    already gave me, and it brought back old anger about work from him. I went into a rage, but couldn't
    complain to him, so I had to live with it. I didn't repress it, except to him. Not an
    hour later I had the worst vertigo attack I've ever had. I went to bed, calmed down, and it went away.
    It left me with some off and on dizziness, but as I practice calming myself and my thoughts, it lessens.

So I still have to practice getting peace and calm and not get so angry when things happen.

Sometimes I think I'd prefer pain to vertigo.

7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I think JanA might. I'll send her a message.

eric watson likes this.
  8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

MORCOMMS QUOTE-Seemed as though when my lower back pain started to decrease, the vertigo started up, but disappeared after a few days. It was one of those symptom substitutions that disappear when you stop paying attention and remembering them-

ERICS QUOTE-IT DISAPEERS WHEN WE STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO IT-THATS IT-THANKS MORCOMM-
    WALT YOU SHOULD WHIP THE GREMLIN VERY SOON.

beachgirl and Jilly like this.
  9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

WALT YOU JUST SAID THE ANSWER-WHEN YOU LAID DOUN AND CALMED DOUN-IT WENT AWAY
    ALWAYS USE YOUR AFFIRMATIONS AND PEACE-YOUR RELAXING BREATHING TECNIQUES AND YOUR RE-FRAMING
    ALWAYS USE YOUR TMS HEALING-YOU HAVE AN AWESOME QUESTION THOUGH-ITS REALLY GOING TO HELP THOSE IN NEED WHEN YOU TELL THEM HOW YOU FEEL TOMORROW-AND HOW YOU WON THE BATTLE AGAINST THE GREMLIN.
    GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND

Jilly likes this.
  10. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Feel better Walt...Maybe throw darts with a bulls eye drawn over the face of a certain someone ... In this, your'e doing something you normally wouldn't do in retaliation to shock your subconscious and maybe have a good laugh and getting some of that rage out on an inanimate object. "Since these emotions trigger terror of our own aggression, we often turn these feelings in on our selves because we are too afraid of expressing, or even feeling them" Levine p. 47 "Working with aggression and the impulses with the goal of complete destruction at least allows the acceptance of these taboo emotions" Levine p. 109 ;) *** HUGS ***​

eric watson likes this.
  11. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh yeah, guys - this is my "favorite" TMS symptom. I've had them all to some extent, but I ended up at a dizziness & balance PT clinic, where I was tested for all the usual suspects (after my GP had ruled out anything serious). The owner of the clinic said "I believe that people like you ('can't find anything causing the dizziness) are actually suffering from migraine". So I found a forum discussing migraines and migraine diets, and amongst the myriad and sometimes ludicrous claims for foods that did or did not cause migraines, there was someone who recommended reading "The Divided Mind". Which I did, and everyone here knows the result of reading your first book by Dr. Sarno!

Walt, my dizziness is the hardest symptom to banish, because I think it's the hardest one for me to visualize away. Since discovering Dr. Sarno and this wonderful community in September 2011, I have had weeks that were free of dizziness, but it came back this fall, after a summer that was full of personal tragedy and loss. It came back AFTER the distractions of the immediate crises had passed, and doesn't that make sense! However, my relationship with it is totally different than the year before, because now I KNOW that it's TMS, and it doesn't scare me anymore. So I still have some bad days, but I no longer have panic attacks, I no longer have digestive disturbances, I don't have back pain or shaky legs, and on the rare occasion when I get a headache bad enough to bother me, it's easily banished with just one ibuprofen. So I'm pretty confident when I say I'm 80% better than I was 18 months ago - and I have had periods of time when I was close to 100%.

It's a lifelong journey, and it's definitely sometimes a struggle to stay on track, but when I think about where I was "Before Sarno", this is so worth the effort.

Jan

12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

this is awesome jilly-you hit a huge nail on the head-thanks for your words of wisdom

Jilly likes this.
  13. Eric "Herbie" Watson

jan this is such a beutiful story of tragedy to triumph,
    you know the keys now-no fear,a lot of acceptance and hope
    and the big one-thinking psychological-its powerful jan how far you have come
    thank you jan for all the help you give us here at tms wiki

LoLo and Jilly like this.
  14. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Eric, I usually bottle my rage and therefore I hurt. When I read this from Peter Levine, I felt it's ok to let it out in a safe way, not hurting someone else. Acceptance of our rage is such a huge part of NOT repressing ... you've helped us a lot Eric * hugs

15. Eric "Herbie" Watson

thanks jilly -thats a great feeling knowing your saying that-we all strongly thank you for your
    powerful messeages of wisdom and hope-keep firing the missle.

Jilly likes this.
  16. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Ooooo Eric ! You make me laugh ! So HARD ! :D "Keep firing the missile " LOL !

17. Eric "Herbie" Watson

I felt it's ok to let it out in a safe way, not hurting someone else. Acceptance of our rage is such a huge part of NOT repressing ...

....this is a great explanation of acceptance

Jilly likes this.
  18. Eric "Herbie" Watson

thats it keep the doors a jamming:)ha...ha...

Jilly likes this.
  19. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, Walt, Jilly, Eric et alia, Everytime I've bottled up my rage in a work situation, I've wound up getting ill not just emotionally, but physically. I guess I learned never to express my true feelings around my parents when I was a kid (because being a separate person was taboo) and continued the practice into adulthood and the working world. You don't have to throw a tantrum either. That's just a symptom of bottled up rage due to repressed emotionality. But letting a supervisor know that it makes you mad may lead to a different management style on their part the next time such a situation arises.

Jilly likes this.
  20. Eric "Herbie" Watson

your so right guys-i was just telling my fiance the other day that we didnt need to
    get all bent out of shape when we go over our repressions-we dont even have to hit at the hard ones till were ready-i told ninfa that all we had to do was hit at the tinnacles-its like an octopus and as long as we hit at its legs we break the tree.see ,we dont always have to go in for the jugular.as jilly said -this is some truth here.
    im glad its being lenghtened

Jilly likes this.