1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dizziness/Vertigo/Nystagmus

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Anne Walker, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Of all my TMS symptoms, I find vertigo the most unsettling. I have had 3-4 episodes of Benign Positional Vertigo in the last 5 or 6 years. The first couple of times were very by the book. I got incredibly dizzy when I went on a particular side and the doctor did a treatment and it went away. But the fear and anxiety related to it lingered for months. About a year ago I had an episode and after several doctor visits and seeing an ENT I was referred to a Physical Therapist that specializes in dizziness. Somewhere in the treatments the Vertigo changed from the posterior canal to the anterior canal. At least this is what the therapist told me. Practically speaking this meant that instead of the world spinning when I would lie down on my left side, I had more of a kaleidoscope effect when I would lie down on either side. The treatments, which involved me rolling around and getting very dizzy, helped but I was left with about 5% for several months. The therapist thought I should go back and see the ENT doctor but I never did. I was very stiff when I slept for fear of rolling over in the wrong direction and when the vertigo finally faded away, I had the chronic right neck, shoulder, occipital neuralgia, headaches I have been dealing with the last 10 months. I started working on the TMS about six months ago. Where am I going with this? I have done a lot of work on the TMS and feel as though I have made some progress. This morning when I rolled onto my left side the vertigo/nystagmus returned. I feel lost and so sad. As I mentioned earlier, it is the scariest of all the TMS symptoms to me and I am having such a hard time convincing myself that it is just TMS. I am not sure if I should go back to the dizziness therapist, go see a neurologist or my therapist.

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh Oh Oh - you need the Epley Maneuvre!
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5225197_perform-epley-maneuver.html

I had this last year and Dr gave me tablets that did nothing. Then my husband's boss told me about this (she was shown it by a French Dr.) It worked the first time I did it. Although sometimes they say to do it twice. I cannot find the same Youtube video I saw then, but the above one seems similar. As he says - hold each position for 2 full minutes. It can be very uncomfortable and weird whilst you are doing it - but it works! I got my husband to hold my head throughout - to ensure it stayed in position and also because I was whirling (he could see mty eyes rolling on my head - so don't be alarmed if that happens!) I went all the way round - a quarter turn each time, wait 2 mins, another quarter turn. It is important to have your head held steady as you raise up at the end - another 2 mins. Then if you can go to bed and be propped up on pillows for the night. In the morning - you should feel fine. I was told to avoid bending over, moving quickly for a couple of days to allow it to 'settle'. I don't think the BPV is TMS - I think it is just caused by stuff in your ears. Don't let this put you off your TMS work - just carry on - the stiff neck , headaches etc WILL be TMS - just fastening onto the vertigo - as it knows it has been an unsettling experience for you! Good luck.

3. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

It is a known effect from trigger points in your sternocleidomastoid or trapezius. I believe trigger points are mindbody symptoms.
    When I was at my worst I remember three episodes provoked by bending over. I also suffered from terrible neck and upper back problems during that time.
    Hopes this helps you become more convinced that you are on the right track. I also wrote a piece on tmshelp.com (do a search on psycho-physiological dizziness syndrome) that might be of interest to you.
    take care