1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dizziness/floating head feeling. TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Leslie735, Aug 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

I have another 6 days on the medication but my experience with antibiotics I usually start feeling better pretty quickly. My ear doesn't feel as stuffed but the dizziness is still very much present.

2. Leslie735

Has anyone ever heard of mal de debarquement syndrome? I'm worried it's the cause!

3. DanielleMRD

DanielleMRD Peer Supporter

This has definitely been a TMS symptom for me. It's come and gone many times over the years. As soon as I have something else to worry about it's gone, haha. Kinda my go to symptom imparative... Woozy is a great way to describe it. I've been checked out, even had an MRI. Like I said, eventually I'm too distracted by something wonderful or something nerve racking and it's gone for months at a time. I'm sure you're fine, but definitely not alone ❤️❤️

4. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Leslie, try your best to recognize that all the worrying and fear are not only making this worse but perhaps the cause. I took a little look at mal de debarquement syndrome and it doesn't mean much of anything. Its not serious, they don't know the cause, there is no treatment, and it usually resolves on its own. I'm not sure if you are googling or where you are coming up with these ideas but I really recommend that when you notice you are searching for potential diagnosis to scare yourself with, that you distract yourself with something else. Slow down. The urgency to find "the answer" and a potential quick solution to make it stop, prolongs the discomfort. I know how hard it is to try and relax when you are in this state. My somatic experiencing therapist would say that it is impossible to just relax when your nervous system is this wound up. She would recommend looking for ways to make it just a little more manageable. Lie down somewhere calm and soothing, play some music or listen to a meditation tape. Sometimes it would help me to sit outdoors in the sunshine. Breathe. You can give yourself a few days respite at least from figuring out what the cause is. Just be with it. You are okay I am sure of it. Did you notice you were feeling a little better after you saw the doctor? That should be a big sign right there how much anxiety is feeding this. This is the symptom imperative. What were you doing to address the TMS for the urinary urgency? Whatever it was, it worked, so much so your subconscious felt the need to come up with a whole new distraction. Don't be fooled by this and you will be feeling so much better very soon.

SebastianM, DanielleMRD and Ellen like this.
  5. DanielleMRD

Yes! Stay away from google. It's self torture I literally drove myself to an anxiety attack by doing that. The fear is hard to shake, but use your previous successes to help build your confidence in your ability to beat symptom imparative the same way.

Anne Walker likes this.
  6. Leslie735

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm trying g but having a hard time. I'm exhausted all the time, have sinus pressure and the trampoline dizzy feeling. All I do is sleep and lay around. Day 3 of meds and not sure they ate doing anything.

7. Abundance72

Abundance72 Peer Supporter

Leslie your symptoms sound exactly like what I used to experience years ago, except mine went on for years! The worst of it probably lasted me 4 years or so? Trust me I know exactly what you're describing, I even used to get a fuzzy vibration feeling in my head if I moved it too quickly or shook it. It was absolutely awful, on top of that I would get headaches with pressure building up and I seriously thought I had a problem in my brain. I went to an ENT got the full check on my ears, neurologist had a brain MRI and CT scan, got my eyes checked, blood work I can't remember what else but I got prescribed all sorts of things, the only diagnosis I got was anxiety. I believe it was anxiety as I was suffering at the time and still suffer health anxiety. The one thing that seemed to help a bit was half a Valium when it got severe. I don't like taking that sort of thing so I didn't take it often. I don't really get that feeling anymore but occasionally it rears it's ugly head. I still however get headaches and severe back pain these two I'm finding very difficult to combat. If you've been checked be assured that it's just anxiety and the stress of worrying that is keeping the symptom alive. Good luck :)

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  8. Leslie735

Years! NOOOO!!!! I seriously can't deal with this for years, it's only been a week and I'm just exhausted from it. It was better yesterday for a while, more tolerable and when I first got up this morning it was a lot better but I feel it coming back already an hour later. :( The ENT seemed pretty confident I had a sinus infection but 4 days into antibiotics I don't feel much different.

Quick question Abundance72, did yours show up randomly or did it come after traveling (boat, plane, car etc.)?

9. Abundance72

No it came on randomly Leslie. What happened, I went on some anti depressants for anxiety and then got off after 8 months or so as I didn't want to be on them. After withdrawing slowly I began getting these zaps in my head and headaches and slowly started developing the head dizziness feeling like you're on a boat really weird. I blamed it on the anti depressants but I'm not sure it was that or anxiety? Don't get discouraged it doesn't mean you will suffer for years. I had to go through years of doubt and fear as I don't know what it was but if you've already been checked you can begin to understand how stress/anxiety (tms) can do this to you and start working on not fearing it. I had no idea of tms at the time. I only learned of tms 2 years ago.

10. Leslie735

Was yours constant? I feel fine when I'm sitting still (mostly) and laying down/sleeping. I also feel a little better when I'm in the car and out somewhere (maybe because I'm distracted?) Otherwise I feel it when I'm walking around my house etc.

11. Abundance72

It was almost everyday but I found when I was home it didn't seem as bad. The worst would be when I would go out shopping in large areas where there was lots of noise and lots of people. I'm not sure why? I think when I was laying down or sitting it was usually better. It's been a while I'm trying to remember.

Leslie735 likes this.
  12. Leslie735

Mine is the opposite, I do better when I'm out for some reason. When I was dealing with my urinary issues, it was worse at home than when I was out as well, most of the time. I think I associate home with anxiety and stress for some reason.

13. Abundance72

That's funny you say that, I think I felt safe at home and that's why I didn't have it as bad and in a rush to get home when I was out as I felt this need to hurry and get out of the supermarket or wherever I was.

14. Leslie735

Strange how were all different. I get anxiety when I go out usually because I'm afraid my stomach is going to act up (had my gallbladder out 5 years ago and it gives me issues sometimes and I'm always afraid its going to happen in public) but yet I just seem to have less problems with this and when I was dealing with teh urinary stuff out in public. Strange! I'm not saying it's not present at all, because it is, just not as noticeable.

15. Abundance72

See your mind is now focusing on your dizzy symptoms and putting the other symptoms on the back burner... Amazing how our minds work. I find there's always a different symptom alternating with myself each day - one day it'll be mainly a bad headache then following day it will be excruciating upper back pain, the next day my head feels pressure and it goes around and around... Still trying to not fear it but it's hard when it's relentless.

16. Leslie735

It is crazy. I still can't help but wonder if I really do have a sinus infection and my anxiety is just making the symptoms worse.

Abundance72 likes this.
  17. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Leslie, you could have a sinus infection and it could be contributing to your symptoms. At the same time, this is most likely TMS. I say this because you are exhibiting all the classic signs of someone with TMS. Feeling out of balance is an extremely distracting TMS symptom, your bout comes after an improvement in one of your other TMS symptoms. You seem very fearful and worried about it, searching for a structural cause or medical diagnosis... You have seen several doctors and are following their treatment and it is not changing the symptoms. You are searching for more obscure diseases to explain the imbalance even though this is generating even more fear. Why is mal de debarquement syndrome more plausible than TMS? We may come to a TMS diagnosis as a last resort, but none of the symptoms/TMS distraction is going to change until the diagnosis is completely embraced, accepted and believed. I am sure all of us have screamed "no, this can't be happening" and questioned how we would survive if it continued for years. And yet it is exactly this sort of resistance that perpetuates the pain and fulfills our worst fears. Try to start thinking psychologically, and become aware of when you are focused on the physical symptoms to the point of distraction. There are some great videos on here on how to deal with anxiety, they helped me a lot. And mindful meditation can be extremely helpful as well. I know it is not easy, but if you can start focusing on some of the techniques you have learned here, you will find relief much sooner.

Ellen and yb44 like this.
  18. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

What Anne Walker says with bells on it. It's true, we do tend to find any and all physical explanation no matter how obscure or far fetched more plausible than TMS. As someone else said in another thread, we have to get totally fed up before we are ready to give up our fear and accept the true cause of our mind body woes.

Ellen likes this.
  19. Leslie735

Thank you everyone for the advice and encouraging words! I can always count you all! *hugs*

20. DanielleMRD

I mentioned that I had dizzy wozzieness, especially when walking before, but I also had the sinus pressure. It was not a sinus infection. I had no congestion. Mine lasted a few weeks, basically long enough for something new to come up. That was before I knew what TMS was. Have you read The Great Pain Deception by Steve Ozanich? If you haven't you definitely should get it right away and if you have, maybe read it again? It's taken some time, but I can finally see some major benefits to applying the methods in Steve's book. Try not to let those fearful thoughts take root. When they come up, go do something you enjoy, you are strong and healthy and please do not google your symptoms!! You're going to be OK and you'll look back and remember this as one of those silly symptom imparatives that tricked you for a little while. ❤️❤️

SebastianM likes this.