1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Discouraging thing a Dr. said.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Lavoris, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Lavoris

Lavoris New Member

Just yesterday I had a Dr. tell me that relying on this technique as well as neuroplasticity study was not going to help bc I have some sort of toxicity in my nervous system (Lyme). I can't imagine that this won't help anyway. I posted something else, probably in the wrong place, that (earlier that day) I had been given an Ativan for a dental procedure and my symptoms dissipated greatly. I know all of this Dr. stuff resonates with me bc my dad was a doc and a drug abuser and he and my mom are currently being moved to a long term care facility by my alcoholic sister who hates them! Wow! Just typing that is hard and easy at the same time. I had always been told by my dad to walk it off even if I had a gaping bloody head wound. My cousins are all after me to fly home but I cannot deal with it. They could have aged in place but my dad insisted on prescribing pills for himself and my mom and he kept falling and now her memory is going. They both have chronic pain bc my dad drove under the influence of drugs and alcohol and crashed the car and their backs are screwed together and they are screwed up! Is this off topic? BC it doesn't feel like it somehow! I had such a bad day today after having such a good one yesterday. I am mad at the doctor for bashing my hopes. But I'm not gonna let him. Pain is pain wherever it comes from and with my background I cannot believe that there isn't some psychological component to this. Why tell me this wouldn't help? WTF. It feels good to be angry. Especially at a Dr. My day got thrown off bc I planned my morning out and my daughter ending needing rides everywhere and she was stressed out and fighting with her dad and I had to listen to it the whole way when he was supposed to drive her. I felt just like I did growing up, stuck between everyone, trying to make it ok. Hard to have a dad who was a doc who never gave me any feeling of security or parental knowledge. I once burned my arm and asked him why it didn't hurt at first and he said "I don't know, maybe you're a circus freak".

2. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

Have you been tested positive for Lyme? Most people with Lyme recover completely. Regardless of that the doc told you, you might also have TMS, so even if lime is bringing any toxicity right now, you might have a tms component that could be aleviated. The most important thing is not what your doctor just told you but if you are getting relieve by following a TMS approach. In other words, do whatever is useful to you. If your TMS treament take your pain away, then it really does not matter if it comes from lyme or tms. But just to make sure, get tested for lyme and if you really have it get on a treatment, which would mostly be antibiotics for some time. Baiscally right now you are journaling with your post, so you should continue the structured program and Alan's program, and if it makes a difference in your life, just ignore what the doctor said. Best luck to you and wishing you healing.

3. Lavoris

Lavoris New Member

I have not tested positive for Lyme. Just threw it out there! Anyway I very poor at online skills so I’m not sure if I’m even posting in the right place. I also want to know what happens if you go offf the wagon w the program a few times I’ve been just starting up again but I wonder if things are sometimes too painful to face. Is it ok if stop and start if that’s all I can ha for?

4. Lavoris

Lavoris New Member

Sorry, isn't Alan's program and the structured program the same thing?

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like your TMS symptoms are doing what Dr. Sarno theorized it's role to be, a PROTECTOR from overwhelming emotional issues, a psychological defense mechanism. From the current issues you describe, it fits the TMS pattern. Please bare in mind, I'm a tennis player and not a white-coat and this is a TMS site honoring the works of Dr. Sarno who WILL get the Noble Prize someday.

Here are some alternative views on Lymes disease, one of the many possible mis-diagnoses doctors come up with when they can't find the cause for chronic pain that may be TMS/psychosomatic in origin, coming from the emotions:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS602US602&ei=pBcPWsD4AcGX0wKPnITQAQ&q=lyme+disease+scam&oq=lyme+disease+scam&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.3595.10437.0.11107.5.5.0.0.0.0.89.422.5.5.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.5.421...0i67k1.0.LCefCQkqLBk (lyme disease scam - Google Search)

6. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

It is ok if you go off the wagon, just get back on the wagon and keep going. No one is perfect, and we can have setbacks, it is called life, so dont worry you will be fine. TMS and psychosomatic syndromes are as different as personality for each one, and what works for one is not necessary what works for others. You have to use what works for you. The structured educational program and Alan Pain recovery program are 2 different programs that deal with the same but have different duration . I recommend you do both. If you have not tested for Lyme, then there is not basis for the doctor to tell you that, and I will tell him if it was my case that he is a complete A** ,and some more, but that is me that went thru more than 20 doctors before finding TMS. Yes, we have to address any real physical symptoms before starting a tms program , but some doctors are just so full of it, that they are just misleading and cause more pain and confusion than the good they do. If anything, and you have a doubt in your mind, just test for Lyme, and when the results come back negative( as I think they will), then you can completely get that off your mind and not interfere with your tms recovery. Feel free to always ask, vent , rage, etc. This is a great place to get help and support.

Alan's http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/ (Pain Recovery Program)

Structured educational program http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Structured_Educational_Program (Structured Educational Program)

Tennis Tom likes this.
  7. mtnmama2017

mtnmama2017 New Member

I have Lyme and TMS is helping me.

Lizzy likes this.
  8. Lavoris

Lavoris New Member

YAAAASSS! THANK YOU!!!!