1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Discouraged, and afraid.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by TommySwann, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TommySwann

TommySwann Newcomer

I’lol try and keep this short, I posted a little over a week ago about some issues with my thumb. Well I’ve returned to doing what I love which is streaming and it involved my thumb. I’ve been having thumb pain again for weeks and it hurts every morning and throughout the day. I have pain in my left wrist too. I worry constantly, streaming and creating content is everything to me, just typing this is hurting my right thumb. I don’t believe it’s tms because it’s primarily just in my right thumb and index finger, and left wrist. I occasionally get pain in other areas. I’m just afraid and feel like I’m going to have damage forever and not be able to follow or achieve my dreams. I haven’t had an MRI but I have great mobility, my therapist even said that. I got this injury around 7 and a half months ago

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Tommy.

Here's the problem: you don't believe you have TMS, because you are convinced that there has to be a physiological reason for your pain. Well, maybe there is. You don't know, because from your brief story, it doesn't sound like you've received a professional medical examination.

No one on this forum knows, either. No one here should be attempting to diagnose you with TMS, because we can not, we MAY not, do that.

Some people are diagnosed with TMS by TMS practitioners. Often, those practitioners advise the client to get the MRIs or whatever, to dispel doubt.

Some of us (like myself) are completely self-diagnosed - but only after years of being told "there's nothing wrong with you", and believing it, thanks to a preponderance of evidence.

It's one thing to have doubts - everyone has doubts that come and go. But acceptance of a TMS diagnosis absolutely must be the starting point, and only YOU can provide that.

Start reading some of our many inspirational Success Stories, and good luck!

~Jan

3. TommySwann

TommySwann Newcomer

I’ve been to therapy and several doctors and they gave me an x ray and all acted like I’d be ok. I just can’t afford an MRI. I took several months off of doing what I love to do. Thanks for the response.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Okay, that's more important and useful information (on this forum) than the physical details of what you think your symptoms are.

If you've read Dr. Sarno, you know what I'm talking about when I say that obsessing over the details of your symptoms is a distraction. If you haven't read Dr. Sarno, that's the first thing you need to do, IF you are interested in pursuing whether you might be suffering from the human brain mechanism we call TMS.

Because look: IF it's TMS, the physical details are COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY irrelevant, and they are a distraction. And if it's not TMS, those details are only relevant to a medical practitioner.

Don't feel bad - it's what everyone does when they start out! But if you want to start thinking differently, and really explore the mechanism of TMS, it would be hugely beneficial to decide right now that you will no longer list ANY of the tedious details of your physical symptoms (since we're not allowed to diagnose them anyway), and instead you will replace them with just three words. Examples: "my RSI symptoms" or "my thumb pain". That's it. On this forum, that's all that's needed.

When you've read Dr. Sarno (my personal favorite is The Divided Mind) you can start doing the SEP: our free Structured Educational Program.

Again - good luck! This is a great supportive community for doing TMS work!

~Jan

TommySwann likes this.
  5. emporeon027

emporeon027 Peer Supporter

how are you doing body?