1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Disconnected dizzy feeling

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Artmuzz, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

I don't know if this is another TMS symptom but since drinking a whole bottle of wine and binge eating a packet of skittles sweets I have been having this weird overwhelming anxiety feeling of being disconnected from reality and feeling light headed, nauseous and a sort of drunk dizzy feeling which is making me very scared and uncomfortable. I believe this is called depersonalisation derealisation syndrome. I am also having problems sleeping because when a I fall asleep I then freak out because I am not breathing which wakes me up.

As I have mentioned on this forum, I think I have TMS due to years of suppressed emotional stress and anger and I became very ill after a massive panic attack in 2015 where for months after I experienced derealisation, migraines, aches and pains, dizziness, heart palpitations, brain fog, weird sensations in my head and ears, problems with sleeping, bowel problems and feeling tense.

Please advise.

Bodhigirl likes this.
  2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Artmuzz,
    Much of what you describe sounds like TMS to me. My experience with anxiety/stress is that you become more sensitive to any substance (sugar, coffee, alcohol...). Depersonalization / derealisation can be the result of chronic anxiety for a long period of time and can start a vicious cycle where the experience itself becomes a source of more anxiety. The first step is to break down that vicious cycle: When you are in a state of depersonalization/derealisation, try to tell yourself that it is okay and that there is no need to fear it. Breathing exercises and meditation can help with that.
    Imho you are the right track to connect all your symptoms to emotional stress. Did you ever see a therapist/psychologist or similar about this??
    Take care

to add, have a look at this thread... maybe it resonates
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/psycho-physiological-dizziness-syndrome-ppds.4599/#post-91391 (Psycho-Physiological Dizziness Syndrome (PPDS))

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Ines likes this.
  3. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

Hmm the bottle of wine might not have helped but jokes aside...

I could have wrote what you have wrote 2015/2016 as you have described what I was going through especially the waking up in fear of stopping breathing. It was like I was just about to drop off to sleep but would quickly jump up as I thought my breathing was going to stop. Classic anxiety symptom. I can't remember how I resolved this specific symptom as I've not had this happen for over a year now. Maybe it was something as simple as realising that there is nothing seriously wrong with me after many trips to the docs.

The Dizzines and brain fog was also awful as its constant along with the ears ringing and the odd brain zap. I also experienced pain in my privates and many other symptoms. I was going crazy and worrying about each symptom individually instead of realising that it was my nervous system that was shot thus causing all these symptoms.

It gets better but the trick is to quit worrying about every symptom that pops up and just let it be. Claire Weekes explains this perfectly although it's hard to put into practise.

Ines likes this.
  4. Artmuzz

Yes, I seen a psychologist last year and she came to the conclusion that it is suppressed anger and emotional stress that is the cause of my depression, anxiety, aches and pains and the scary disturbing symptoms I experience. She sent me to group therapy but group therapy didn't help me.

Now I know that the only thing that is going to help me is acceptance and reading the books of Claire Weekes and Dr Sarno's TMS books.

5. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

Unsure if you've yet to check out Alan's programme on here as I think you would find a few things useful there which will help you overcome this.

Somatic tracking (day 9) is worth a read for the explanation on how to react to symptoms in a 'mindful' manner.

Also great info throughout the programme on how a cycle of fear/anxiety can cause and prolong your symptoms and keep you ill. Also the importance of being kind to yourself with your thinking. Worth checking out if nobody has yet.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/ (Pain Recovery Program)

6. Artmuzz

Thanks for the link. I will take a read of it. BTW It's good to know that I am not alone in having those scary symptoms like you mentioned on your previous post and that there is a cure. I have been reading Claire Weekes books and her remedy of just flowing and accepting the symptoms actually work but it depends in what frame of mind I'm in.

7. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Can you go back to this or another psychologist for private therapy? I would not like going to group therapy, either.

You're on the right track to explore your symptoms as TMS. I've had most all of your symptoms. I do think the bottle of wine could be contributory to your problems, but alcohol does reduce anxiety and promote relaxation in the short term. I'm not judging - I do love my beer.

8. Artmuzz

I am thinking of seeing another psychologist but I think I will read Dr Sarno's books first and see if that helps.

I gave up drinking three years ago when I had a severe panic attack. It was just the other week that I had my first bottle of wine in three years and it affected me negatively the following morning. If I drink again I think I will have just a glass or two.

Celayne likes this.
  9. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Moderation in all things...

10. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Yep, sounds like us TMS folks.
    Wine and sugar surely alter you, too, and add to the awful feelings.
    I quit drinking years ago. Limit sugar to almost never, am just too sensitive and complicated!
    Had a rush of depersonalization intermittently the past two days, and I know it’s anxiety and feeling cold as we had a huge shift in the weather.
    I did some EFT - tapping acupressure points - while acknowledging the anxiety and it passed.
    EFT is a sort of cognitive therapy and dialectical approach where you say exactly how you feel - fear, anger, sad, anxious - AND that you love and accept yourself just as you are.
    It’s a relief. Repeat8 g it over and over. Acknowledging how you hate the anxiety, no one welcomes it very gracefully...
    Been doing the tapping it for years.
    It helps.
    Fear is so potent!
    All best wishes, stick around, there’s lots of wise folks here. Wounded healers...
    Bg

11. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

This is an old thread, and I hope you've experienced some relief by now, but perhaps this will benefit someone else in this situation: I wanted to confirm that in my personal situation, this was indeed TMS.

Any emotions - including but not limited to stressful ones - changes how your body responds to alcohol: https://www.livescience.com/15138-stress-alcohol-effects.html (Stress Changes Alcohol's Effects on You)

The above research also applies to sugar, caffeine, cannabis, nicotine, psychedelics, etc. This is why some people experience depersonalization after having a bad trip. And no, that is not permanent, and everybody can and will recover once they calm down and soothe the sympathetic nervous system. Reports of this depersonalization lasting for years are from individuals who took far too long to figure that out or those who were experiencing the placebo effect.

I went on a bar crawl through the city with some friends recently. I was pretty smart - I drank a lot of water, ate an appropriate amount of healthy food, and made sure I wasn't totally hammered (although I do like to party and live it up). But I have had quite a bit on my plate due to some recent "romantic" issues and new job responsibilities. I ended up experiencing 95% of the same symptoms as you for a week and a half. Caffeine was even difficult for me to tolerate, sending me into a severe panic attack. Reading was impossible and I felt like I couldn't concentrate whatsoever. It was like a mix of chronic fatigue and depersonalization. I was wondering if I drank too much, messed up my brain chemistry for a little bit, etc. Then I remember that I've partied way, WAY harder countless times, and there was no reason for my body to have not healed already. That's when I realized the symptoms were all TMS. Now they're gone.

The body is extra sensitive because you're in sympathetic overdrive from stress. It's no different than my success story where I discuss not being able to consume alcohol without developing extreme nerve pain, which went away.

It's just another distraction. The people on the depersonalization forums who end up there after smoking some weed, tripping a little too hard, or drinking heavily one night have got to take a step back, too.

(And ugh, freaking romantic issues.)

Celayne and plum like this.
  12. Artmuzz

Thanks for the informative advice.

The dizzy, drunk disconnected feeling seems to have subsided and I haven’t experience it much recently but the physical pains like migraine headaches, backache and muscle tension still persists but it has been very helpful knowing that this is nothing but emotional stress such as TMS and I am getting better knowing that this is all that it is. I have been attending psychotherapy and that has helped too. It’s just a matter of accepting and letting time pass which is the same technique Dr Claire Weekes mentions about overcoming anxiety and panic attacks.

It’s interesting that you mention alcohol because I was out at a party back in 2015 drinking large vodkas and cola and during that time I was going through great emotional stress with losing my mother to cancer and family problems as well as suffering severe lower back pain. Anyway, the day after the party I was feeling very low and depressed and by the afternoon I suffered the worst panic attack I’ve ever experienced which made me bedridden for months and suffer derealization, severe anxiety, panic disorder and strange head pressure feelings and pains around my body. I was a complete wreck. Now I am feeling a lot better.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019