1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dieting tips during pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by IndiMarshall, Aug 30, 2015.

1. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

I am slowly and gradually improving my physical activity but I realized I gained 10 kg weight .. thanks to my mum who thinks the only way I can recover is eat well .. loll...

I generally can put on weight very easily... that's the nature of my body....

I tried to put lot of fruits and less carbohydrates into my diet but I realized I am getting headaches due to diet and then feeling hungry and eating the same amount again..

Do you have any tips ?? to fight weight gain during pain ..

I have to reduce 8 kg .. which will bring me back to my ideal weight..

& Any ideas to combat sweet-tooth :) too

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

one of the most distressing aspects of chronic pain is losing control over your body. It led me to not care about my body as a result and I ate everything in sight and ballooned. I have read lots and lots on nutrition and there are many competing theories and vested interests pushing their agenda(Coca Cola etc)

I would highly recommend reading about Insulin resistance and the new data showing that cholesterol and saturated fat is not harmful.

Prof Tim Noakes wrote a book called 'the Lore of Running' and one of the biggest proponents of carb loading. Being a runner himself who barely ate fat he was surprised to learn he was prediabetic and was holding onto weight in spite of running the Comrades marathon. A small intro to Tim here.

http://runneracademy.com/ra024-tim-noakes/

Dieticians are going apoplectic over his recommendations as they contradict the glorious food pyramid that was based on the 1977 mcGovern report.

> clip from Fathead(great overview of nutrition science)

His lecture here is fantastic. you need to understand why you get hungry, and what food to eat to not only control hunger but help you find your natural weight via reprogramming your appestat that has likely been abused by the Western diet.

Turns out our grandparents diets of whole foods and natural animal fats were more healthy than we were. Bear in mind this works for some better than others and depends on your natural level of Insulin resistance. If you have a spare tyre and hold onto weight in spite of trying your best then it is probable you have some level of insulin resistance. There is a hell of battle being waged right now as Pharma and some dieticians try to muddy the waters around the new data as it contravenes their authority directly.

And last, an excellent article by a cardiovascular surgeon who looked at the research and decided to ditch statins.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/10717431/Why-Ive-ditched-statins-for-good.html

My aim in providing such an extensive overview is to help those in pain understand that this type of diet makes it so much easier to control your hunger. It also has marked benefits for mood . it unfortunately requires a good bit of prep to implement given the type of environment we live in, were cheap junk food is around every corner.

3. IrishSceptic

a fellow Irishman has a superb website ''The Fat Emperor'' and deals with this subject in immense detail and clarity.

IndiMarshall likes this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Personally, I would try and incorporate some yoga into your practice. Not only will it help you restore your flexibility, immune system etc but you will be boosting your natural digestive system.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Forest and IndiMarshall like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I lost about two inches around my waist since I began drinking smoothies... all fruit, all veggies, or a combination of both.
    I also like a chicken leg or thigh roasted and baked potato. Not starving by any means, and it's an easy way to lose weight.
    I bought a Ninja Master Prep for about $35. A lot cheaper than the competition. I just way down on pastas and sugary treats
    but still have them in small quantities. No regular diet... just eat less.

IndiMarshall likes this.
  6. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Since craving sweets is like an addiction, I would apply meditation and being mindful, letting go of the desire to eat sweet stuff. Or, learning EFT and tap through your craving. After all, it's mind over matter.

IndiMarshall likes this.
  7. IrishSceptic

I'd always advise taking it easy on fruit, full of sugars. go for berries, frozen ones are especially convenient available regardless of season. sugar is the main driver of heart disease(this is known since early 70s, Prof Yudkin's work) but the Bush administration covered the sugar barons .

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2003/apr/21/usnews.food

8. David88

David88 Well known member

Losing weight is all about calories. You have to eat less than you burn off through activity. The particular foods you eat don't matter, just their calories content.

Try downloading a calorie-counting app. I use MyFitnessPal. You keep a daily log of food and exercise, and it tells you how many calories you can eat. If you can stick to it, you'll succeed.

The only way I can counter my sweet tooth is to stay completely off the cookies, cake, and ice cream. After a few days the craving for sugar subsides, and the sweet foods lose their appeal.

IndiMarshall likes this.
  9. Mala

Mala Well known member

Many ppl think that its OK to eat a lot of fruit but fruits do have sugar too, some more than others. Some fruit is good but on the whole try to stick to a balanced diet. Maybe try to have a big salad with some form of protein for one meal.

A healthy Indian diet would be dal & some sort of veg & a couple of small chapatis with some yoghurt. The problem I find with Indian food is the amount of ghee/oil that ppl use even at home & the way the veggies cooked to the point where there r no nutrients left. And stay away from the sweets (so yum)

Oh and one more thing try not to eat late. I don't know about u but most of my relatives & friends have dinner at 9 or 10pm.

Mala

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    IndiMarshall likes this.
  10. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Great advice from everyone - and you might also consider that these headaches are your brain playing tricks on you as usual. Try drinking some water, visualize what a good thing re-hydration is for your whole body, and see what happens.