1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Develop Your Story

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by wrestlingfanforever, Jul 20, 2021.

1. wrestlingfanforever

wrestlingfanforever Peer Supporter

Hey all

I think i'm doing quite well with my progress. i KNOW this is TMS. But everyday i have to convince myself still sometimes. On the days i have to CONVINCE myself- everything feels worse. On the days i KNOW its TMS, it all feels a lot better.

Sometimes i feel like 'what if i never get better'. The fear of this being permanent- terrifies me. I rarely even write that word 'permanent'. But i know it's not permanent. i know i am healthy and there is nothing structurally wrong with me.

Reading the days on Empowerment on the new Pain Recovery Program helps me a lot. Knowing that im not powerless. Also reading the success stories daily is very encouraging.

OH AND FREAKILY ENOUGH- Reading the reviews section on Sarnos books on the amazon/ ebay page is surprisingly VERY inspiring! i was shocked at this. Hearing how this work has worked for people who have the same symptoms as me (Migraines, headaches, neck and shoulder pain, irritable bowel, all symptoms from Post Concussion Syndrome).

So my question to y'all is:
    In times when you need to remind or convince yourself that this IS TMS, what do you tell yourself?

Also, are there any of you who are in the same boat as me with these symptoms?

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, I haven't had to do that in a minute, but when I did the easiest way was remembering ALL of the manifold diagnoses and how they were full of cognitive dissonance... I could work on hard physical stuff with little to no pain, but moving around slowly and carefully was excruciating. I could bench press the whole stack at the pain center, pain free....but sitting on a new couch in group therapy listening to people complain made me a '9'. (LOL)....all of the inconsistencies that filled the second half of "Healing back pain".

remember... we are literally reprogramming our brain. They say we have 90k thoughts a day and only like 500 are new. We were all schooled in the 'Medieval medical Model' and learned it, thinking it would help us BUT we were actually negatively conditioning ourselves. The GOODS news is that it goes away if we are diligent...catch yourself thinking one of the old thoughts? Say "BS" out loud and move on. Talk to yourself as if you were someone else giving yourself advice.

But the best one is ; There are two stories....one is that we are defective or injured snowflakes who have to walk and lift and act correctly for the rest of our life... OR... We are the highest evolved organism on our planet capable of healing anything and adapting quickly. We are all tough as nails when our feet get put to the fire, and it's ON.

Pick one

3. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

As Baseball65 said: "I could bench press the whole stack at the pain center, pain free....but sitting on a new couch in group therapy listening to people complain made me a '9'. (LOL)". Exactly same with me. I keep reviewing in my mind all the instances that have occurred that would be completely illogical if I had real structural problems: a walk with my wife where we were in deep discussion about something (not related to me) and it didn't hurt, a walk in a pouring thunderstorm where I was freezing and getting soaked and not thinking about my back, and it didn't hurt, BUT, a regular walk by myself where I am by default thinking about my back: it hurts. That simply doesn't make sense, it should hurt the same in all of those situations. So if my brain can turn it off sometimes, it should be able to turn it off all the time

hope it helps