1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Describe your leg pain....

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by robstahl, May 31, 2015.

1. robstahl

robstahl New Member

I am curious how we all describe our leg pain.

My legs feel like they have been beat up by 24/7 adrenaline, they ache and feel weak but have full strength. Tight calves, burning up and down legs that seems to get worse when im sitting or laying down.
    Riding a bike seems to help for a bit
    I have tarsel tunnel in both feet so I have burning there as well...

Nerve pain is my primary issue...curious if some are the same or more muscular issues?
    thanks
    Rob

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Rob. The pain can be felt in many different ways. It's all part of TMS, your subconscious sending pain so you discover the psychological cause of it.
    The Structured Educational Program can help with that. I urge you to begin it if you haven't already. It's free in the subforum on this web site.

Also looked at the success stories people post after their pains stop. It's proof that it can work for you, too.

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I think that riding the bike helps because the circular motion of the legs increases blood flow and, with it, increased oxygen levels in the affected tissues. This seems to confirm, incidentally, Dr Sarno's explanation that TMS is caused by ischemia, a slight decrease in the amount of oxygen being sent to extremities by the autonomic nervous system, primarily due to psychic stress, either self-imposed or from an external source. Some believe this is due to the mammalian flight-fright-freeze response that we go into in response to a traumatic or stressful situation. It's just that with hypertension, TMS and PTSD, this old survival mechanism gets switched on and fails to turn off, hence, in the case of TMS, perpetuating pain symptoms. I also notice that the sciatica in my legs goes way, way down for about two days after a long bike ride. I guess that the rhythmical motion of the legs over-rides that programmed pain response for a while until life stressors reinforce the old programming, the oxygen level in my legs goes down, and the pain returns. There are a lot of different theories about the origins of TMS but all of them return to psychic stress as the underlying culprit, not structural anatomical abnormalities. But you can see that we both are experiencing the same thing with bike riding, so there is something real to the TMS phenomenon.

Lavender likes this.
  4. robstahl

robstahl New Member

Do you have sciatica in both legs? is it a muscular pain or nervy one that stems from just below your low back?

5. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

A nervy one that runs from my lower back down my left leg. Sometimes in the hip region, but in the muscles not the joint. Well, actually, it moves around in my lower left lumbar region, left hip, left leg and, sometimes, left knee. Quite typical of TMS actually. The fact that it moves and is highly variable according to time of day, physical environment and activity is usually a very good sign of central nervous system involvement (i.e. TMS). If it were wholly physical, the pain pattern and location would be more or less static. Of course I'm not a doctor and can't diagnose and/or treat medical conditions, but have lived with these symptoms long enough to know that they're not fatal or I would have keeled over 10 years ago. Also I keep getting better and better, but very slowly and I chill out more and more.

6. Jossje

Jossje Newcomer

Legpain.
    Sourness pain and weakness!