1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Depression and anxiety

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Waterbear, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

These two things are really kicking my butt the past 3 days. I'm just looking for some encouragement.

I'm tired, hungry, and just low.

Yet, 99% pain free. I guess the old brain has found another thing to throw at me.

Mindful meditation helped me last night to relax and sleep. Today I had just one panic attack in the morning and feel decent.

However, yesterday I was actually sad while having an awesome time with friends.

We went to a reptile festival ( I love reptiles). We were all having a great time, and I was still sad. I tried so hard to stay in the moment and enjoy the presentations, but I was just a bit sad and "meh" the entire time.

That's not like me. The dumbest, tiniest things make me happy.

What is up with that?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yea, me too, Waterbear. I listened to this interview with Dr. Schecter a few days ago, where he discusses the seesaw effect between depression/anxiety and TMS pain.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/thread...a-conversation-with-david-schechter-m-d.4386/

Apparently we still need to be distracted from our repressed emotions, and if physical pain won't do it anymore, than depression or anxiety are called up. I guess we just keep doing all the techniques that have worked in the past, as you did with mindfulness meditation.

In the meantime, I wish you lots of tiny, dumb things....

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Waterbearer. I think you were just not in the mood for a reptile day. Or as Ellen says, maybe your subconscious wanted to spoil your outing by making you sad or depressed. Too bad you couldn't have gotten away from your friends for a few minutes (maybe in the ladies' room) and laughed away your sadness. You could have done what is suggested in a YouTube video I saw the other day, on reframing from negative to positive. I'll see if I can find it and post it. Here it is:

4. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

Good movie, Walt thanks!

I haven't figured out how to listen to the podcast yet, might be a pain in my phone. Thanks to Ellen as well!