1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Deconditioning Techniques??

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Emre, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

I realize that i have sooo many conditionings.
    But i need some techniques to decondition
    For example, each time i walk outside on a windy day, i get a crunchy back which immidiately causes headache!
    I cant get over this!
    I always tell myself that its nothing physical but all conditioning. But the windy weather still causes headache:(

Are there different kimd of deconditioning techniques that you guys use?

Thank you
    Emre

2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Emre- Funny you should ask about this. This morning as I was, once again, talking to my brain I decided that need to include a little chat to my brain regarding de-conditioning.

In addition to the daily reminders that Dr. Sarno talks about, I remind myself that whatever symptom I'm experiencing is a conditioned response. (Presently, a low grade headache that's been lingering. I think TMS knows a screaming headache would really get me in a warring mood so it's just trying the "death by a thousand cuts" maneuver. Does that make sense?)

I don't see the conditioning connection in everything. It's easy for me to connect the dots with a few of my persistent symptoms (like headaches and shoulder pain). Other stuff…the random and quirky aches and pains, well, the connections to conditioning sometime elude me. BUT I know they're there! Actually, that reminds me of a conditioned behavior…the tendency to consult with Dr. Google. That one is easy to deal with. fingersinears I just don't google.

Other things I've been doing is purposefully bend over or pick up things "the wrong way." Yeah, that's living on the edge, baby!

I also watch what I'm saying more. As a mom to three kids, I'm full of admonitions of caution and care. Yeah, that's what mom's do. But it's also what moms can do to ensure the next generation of TMS'ers. I CRINGE when I hear my kid say, "I slept on my neck wrong and now I have a headache." So yeah. I see my efforts to break my conditioning as especially important in that I'm modeling this behavior for me kids. I also watch very little TV because of the ad bombardment. I saw one ad the other day with a new medication for menopause. Good grief. They turn everything into a medical condition. ("Do you BREATHE? EAT? OH MA GOSH!!! You are at risk for DEATH!!!! But if you buy our snake oil, we can collect money from you, er, I mean, we can help you breathe better….")

Every time we turn around, we're being conditioned by media to look for a tumor behind every passing ache. :eek:

Okay…bit of a tangent I went off on.

I hope those ideas can bring a little encouragement to you.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've had a stressful morning with computer problems.
    I kept working on them despite feeling like I was going to give up or go crazy.
    I got through it by deconditioning myself not to let computer madness get me down.

And I just told myself it was more techno crap and laughed it all off.

And now deep breathing and thinking of pleasant thoughts.