1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with mental symptoms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Aegis, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Aegis

Aegis Newcomer

Hi all,

I've been doing the TMS shtick for a while now, first finding it about 20 years ago to deal with chronic pain symptoms (pain in hands, neck and shoulders). I'm glad to say that I no longer have chronic pain, maybe a flare up once every few years. I consider this one of my greatest triumps.

I also developed obsessive thought patterns where an idea, sensation, image or thought would simply latch on and be "stuck" for months to years. I tried to deal with this the same way I dealt with the pain, but I could never figure out a proper approach to it. I started doubting if it was TMS and after a few failed attempts at therapy I finally tried again two years ago. I had schema therapy treatment and emdr for several traumatic events from childhood, such as bullying and the death of my mother. They also targeted some of my character traits like perfectionism, people pleasing, self-criticism. The therapy was much akin to TMS teachings where they believed the obsessive thoughts were the cause of underlying issues. We dealt with a lot of it for nearly 2 years and by then there really wasn't much left to talk about, unfortunately my obsessive thought patterns are still there. They recommended medicine might help, but I have thus declined.

And here I am now.... living with these last symptoms as best I can through mindful practices and meditation, and trying my best to not give a crap about the symptoms. I do believe it's TMS or some kind of equivalent, but I really don't know what else to go for here. I bought howard schubiner's book Unlearn your anxiety and have read Alan Gordon's pain recovery program a few times.

So... I don't know what's left here. Anyone else having a similar struggle?

2. Sita

Sita Well known member