1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 7 Day off

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by ElizabethG, Feb 2, 2016.

1. ElizabethG

ElizabethG Peer Supporter

So I'm supposed to take today off but I'm on Day 7 and it's been a couple weeks. I've taken my time and learned a lot and just trying to process it all.

For several days I was too exhausted to do the program. Then it occurred to me that the TMS could be the culprit and I resumed.

I've learned about being compassionate with myself. The TMS Recovery Program by Alan Gordon helped me recognize thoughts that I had towards myself that were not compassionate. Many were fearful which I was very surprised by - that was quite unconscious. So I have begin being nicer to myself and giving myself more grace and even soothing myself - it feels odd but I understand the concept. Perhaps I should journal about that later.

I tried mindful meditating a couple times but both times I've fallen asleep over and over. Still not seeing the point of that but not giving up completely.

I heard a Ted talk about stress and how it's the belief that stress is bad for your health that actually makes stress bad for your health - very interesting and I can see how it could apply here - the fear and worry about TMS makes it worse. Thus today's video about not caring, deactivating - not engaging the pain or giving it power.

The pain was widespread and stronger yesterday and I felt a new symptom and I'm wondering if it's that whole, it may get worse before it leaves idea because I definitely think I'm getting a better handle on all of this. I feel much more peaceful and am taking time to acknowledge and feel my feelings. Although I feel anxious just admitting that. Another journal day perhaps.

So grateful for all the support on this site.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Elizabeth. I see nothing wrong in falling asleep while mindful meditating. It means you are totally relaxed in the present moment, and that should be a major goal of that activity. Keep it up. Try not to worry about pain getting worse or never ending... it will stop when you have discovered your repressed emotions and believe 100 percent in TMS. I've never understood some people's problems with feelings. We just normally feel... happiness, sadness, pain, worry, etc. My trick is to just feel the emotion for a few seconds, then turn my mind onto more positive things and do things I enjoy. I treat bad feelings like my dog Annie with a bone. She spends very little time on it before digesting, and she is a very happy dog.

ElizabethG likes this.
  3. ElizabethG

ElizabethG Peer Supporter

Thanks Walt - I'll keep up the meditating.
    I definitely have a thought in my head telling me that if I allow myself to feel it will be overwhelming and I won't be able to shut it off. It's helpful to think about feeling the emotion briefly, seems more manageable. Ha! Glad Annie is happy. :)

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I remember a very good quote from the humorous writer and actor, Robert Benchley. He said, about psychoanalysis: "Leave your mind alone."
    I am glad for knowing about TMS, and the MindBody connection, but often I think my happiest hours are not thinking about anything and just relaxing and enjoying something or being with someone.

ElizabethG likes this.