1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day # 9 Need Help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Explorer, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

Hi All:

So since finding the Sarno book almost two weeks ago I had a gradual decrease in my pain symptoms and then last night, BAMM! I got intense pain in the back of my leg and today it's moved to my left glute.

I know this is an extinsion burst. I've been able to beat the headaches and this is just one more pain, but boy did it send me right back to fear.

I am getting back to my normal life and not obsessing so much about the pain. I am doing things I enjoy and feel much happier.

This was just a little scary. I know progress in not linear and need to be patient.

I guess I just thought I'd keep getting better and better every day.

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

It can be scary when that happens. Whenever I have another pain episode I stop and think about what's going on. My first thought is usually everything is fine and then as I sit with things a little longer, I become aware of more feelings I'm not fully feeling. The pain is just a signal that there is something to look at.

Some people do get better each day, but that wasn't/isn't my experience. I can have weeks pain free and then it will pop up again and signal to me that I am not being compassionate with myself or that I am not letting myself feel something.

I have fewer and fewer pain days as time goes on, and hopefully at some point pain will be virtually gone.

Sounds like you are doing great despite this "speed bump"!

3. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

Thanks Veronica:

I appreciate your response. I think there are some respressed emotions that I need to work on and it's very early on in the process for me so I am sure this is just a speed bump as you said. Also the honeymoon effect has worn off. In the past week and a half I was thrilled to have the diagnosis of TMS, well elated, now into Day #9 I see there is much work for me to do and just being happy abuot the diagnosis is not going to do it for me.

I still did my walk today on my lunch break and the back of my leg is not hurting anymore, neither is my left glute. Now my arms and shins hurt. This proves its TMS!!!!!

Glad you pain is receding and you have good weeks. That's a true inspiration to me!

veronica73 likes this.