1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New Program Day 7: Pressure and Criticism

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Sometimes spasms come on randomly and it's ok. It really is.

2. Dumpty

Dumpty Newcomer

3. Dumpty

Dumpty Newcomer

Oh my! Thank you everyone, Alan, Plum Eugene and really everyone who posts. This is so helpful. I have noticed all the same patterns with the fear, pressure ,criticism etc. Of course I want it all to happen overnight, however I know that this is procedural learning and it takes time. It’s so helpful to have it reframed(when there are set backs) that it is part of the learning curve. I have learned through Alanon and other 12 step programs, however this is its own process, even if there is overlap. It’s changing a thinking pattern. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the wisdom experience strength and hope.I loved hearing that even if there are set backs, the knowledge that is does work is the gem.So when I have a tantrum, I can rock that part of myself and calm her rather than beat her up....and even knowing when and hoe to do that is a process. In gratitude, jeannie

4. CATS

CATS Newcomer

Criticism: My Mom was extremely critical of me and others. She lived to be 101 and I took care of her for the last 13 years of her life, not to mention the other 60 years that she was a big part of my life. So...if criticism is a signal that alerts my pain centers, I guess I fit right in here!!
    I am making changes in my life to feel better. So have patience with me! I have trouble adapting to new theories!

5. Kathy Hannmann

Kathy Hannmann Newcomer

Wow I read this Post for the Second time as I was read the Pain in my Back went away. I am putting so much Pressure on myself to get everything right (Losing weight, Live consciously, Exercise, Get better all at once, Change everything) Wow the Pressure never ends. Until Now and for now. Thank you everyone.

6. jboo

jboo New Member

Lots to chew on here. I'm my biggest critic. Both Alan's pain reduction and the baseball player's recovery are quite inspirational.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. HeidiF

HeidiF New Member

Oh wow, I don’t remember this from The Way Out, but this hits home. I started Curable in the fall of 2018 and did a lot of work on being less self critical and more self loving and was feeling great physically and mentally. Then in March of 2021 an anonymous hate letter was mailed to my studio, saying awful things about me and my work. At the time, I laughed, similar to the video, but I tell the people closest to me that that is when things started to take a turn. It was as if someone went into my head and wrote down all the self critical thoughts I had about myself and sent it to me. That letter also triggered pressure that I had to proved the sender wrong, fear that maybe they were right, and also fear of everyone. Since the letter was anonymous I started thinking it could be anyone and no could be trusted. My inner bully kept telling my I was overreacting and being too sensitive, but in retrospect I wasn’t, that letter was cruel and what they said bogus.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. Susan Mary

Susan Mary New Member

The pain I'm working through has its roots in a long time ago. I used to be the kid who said, I'll never pass my test. I'll never learn how to type, or drive a car. I'll never . . . Most of the time, I excelled at all the things I was afraid I couldn't do. That's great, but those beginnings put me into a cycle where sometimes I have to invent a war in order to motivate myself. I've read The Way Out, and I'm on Day 7 now. My pain is considerably less. And I'll be working on dispelling fear for the rest of my life.

Thank you deeply for putting this tutorial out here for free, Alan. I have been trying to find BRT practitioners covered by my insurance, and there don't seem to be any. This is making a big difference already.

JanAtheCPA likes this.