1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 7 Day off from TMS really worked.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jayMck, Oct 22, 2015.

1. jayMck

jayMck New Member

Hi everybody-
    My name is Jay. I'm a 52 year old male, married for 27 years. father of two sons.

I discovered Healing Back Pain about 1 1/2 years ago. I had suffered chronic back pain for 20 years at that point. After reading the book, and seeing myself in every page, my pain melted away. Chiropractors, physical therapist and all the NSAIDS I could manage had done nothing for the pain before that. My favorite activity, cycling became a joy again instead of a time of pain and worry.

However, for the past few months I've been dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck. I've been freaked out lately because a new symptom developed a week ago. Im experiencing a sharp, burning pain in my left shoulder, one that wakes me at about 3 or 4:00 every morning from a sound sleep. An X-ray shows damaged discs and my Dr hinted that surgery was in my future.

For the record, I believe in TMS. I know this stuff works. I can still ride my bike pain free. I had plantar fasciatus a decade ago, but haven't had to use my orthotics for years. I have IBS, but I can almost predict with certainty when it will hit me. I saw and know what dramatic improvement is. But i also believe that TMS can continue searching for ways to distract me.

So I'm in Day 8 of the program today. Yesterday was a rest day. I thought "rest?" I don't want to rest! I want to get better. Well, long story short, I took a rest. I spent my bike ride to work singing Mills Brothers tunes (you know, Paper Doll, I'll Be Around) instead of worrying about my neck. I hummed them internally while at work. I went for a fast 30 mile group bike ride after work not worrying about my neck (which has been bugging me a lot when I ride). Sure enough, the pain in my arm returned about 4:30. It woke me up, but this time I tried to welcome it. Like, "Yeah. I knew you'd come back. But it's ok because I had a great day yesterday." And I know there are better ones yet to come.

To all those who created it, thanks so much for the structured program.

Jay

Grateful17 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jay. I think it's wonderful that you keep riding your bike and went on that long group bike ride. You are bound to feel some pain afterward. You did right by welcoming the pain and not letting it become a worry. Stay active and positive. Those old Mills Brothers songs were great and I'm glad they keep you such good company. You can find lots of them on Youtube. You could listen to them online while you work if you work on a computer.

jayMck likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Nice post, Jay! It includes a lot of great information for people who are brand-new to TMS, so thanks for that :)