1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Question to Ponder

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by wrestlingfanforever, Jul 12, 2021.

1. wrestlingfanforever

wrestlingfanforever Peer Supporter

Hi all,

Here's my Day 4 response to the Question to Ponder:

'What was the most disheartening thing a doctor has told you about your symptoms? In what ways have you kept that in your mind?'

With my old TMS symptoms of back pain back in 2017- The osteopath jokingly told me to 'get a new career'. I laughed it off, but inside i was fuming! How dare he?! That stayed in my mind for months- until i turned up for my last session pain free after reading sarno's books. He couldn't believe my body was structurally the same but i had NO pain when put in the positions that caused me pain before. Magic right?!

With my newer set of tms migraine headaches, tension headaches, dizzyness, depression etc, the doctors themselves werent that bothered when i saw them- they thought i was concussed (and so did i, now i know otherwise). HOWEVER, after a few of these injuries, id always hear from fellow wrestlers "you don't want to get too many concussions." "don't get another one" "if you get more than xyz concussions, you cant get signed to a big company" "you'll have to lie about how many concussions you've had if you want to get signed".

I heard a concussion Dr online say athletes should contemplate retiring if they are getting concussed more regularly and easier.

This fear of getting more concussions made me scared in most of my matches in 2019/2020 to the point that this fear just became the norm 247. Even getting hit with the slightest blow seemed to take me out. Now i know that it was the fear of getting another injury (& ruining my chances at success) made these headaches, anxiety and dizziness come about. The wrestling moves id take wouldn't cause a concussion- they would just trigger my TMS symptoms which are the exact same symptoms as a concussion. Because of my history of these injuries, it was so easy for the TMS to take over this site because i'd never assume it was TMS. Knowing it was TMS did heal me in seconds from a previous concussion in 2018.

The constant worry about getting hurt from all of those horror stories i'd heard & not feeling safe to return to the ring, still float about now. Even though ive had a nice lovely long break from it all. I need to remember that the body and mind is stronger than we think.

Thanks for hearing me out.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi wrestlingfanforever,

I enjoy reading your post. It seems you have a really strong understanding of your journey:

I can see your disengagement from the scary messages which you got in the past. Wonderful to know how you were caught in TMS and didn't know it. And it is a fascinating connection between the stories of symptoms creating the very same symptoms. Like expecting a whiplash --like I was afraid of, then me getting one!

Brilliant! Keep up the good work.

Andy

3. wrestlingfanforever

wrestlingfanforever Peer Supporter

Thanks so much for your message Andy :) At the time it was hard to see these connections but with hindsight, its so completely obvious!

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

You are welcome! Keep up the good work.