1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

day 25

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Belle, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Belle

Belle New Member

I feel kind of upset/nervous because I my symptoms were gone , so then I started slacking off with the program and they came back =, now I am just sticking to it and trying again will I have to do this everyday so it doesn't come back ever?... I also got headaches which is another TMS symptom I think right...?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes Belle, headaches are a common TMS symptom. You are making progress and learning more about how to do it well. Simply equate the headaches as TMS trying to persist or fool you into fear, and ignore them as best you can. Obviously if they got worse and worse over time, then you could see a physician. It does not sound that way right now, so I would go the TMS route.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Belle, what we call TMS is actually a normal brain mechanism that was designed to keep us safe in the primitive world. In today's world, for many of us, it's on overdrive, and it is sabotaging our well-being. So the fact is, this is something we need to learn to control, and unfortunately, it is all too easy to have setbacks when life hits us in the face, as it always does.

The goal of Dr. Sarno, his followers, our programs, and the forum, as well as the many resources out there, is to find the techniques that work for each individual (since we are each unique) to calm our fearful primitive brains, and especially to stop fearing symptoms when they arise.

This becomes more automatic with time, so that you can get your life back and function normally once again. However, because this is a normal brain mechanism, there will still be times when symptoms flare, and you need to go back to your techniques to discover what it is that your brain is repressing this time. I have been surprised at the innocuous things that my silly brain thinks are too negative for me to look at, and that it has repressed, replacing the awareness of the issue with physical symptoms.

If you suffer from anxiety (as many of us do) I urge you to get a copy of "Hope & Help For Your Nerves" by Claire Weekes. It's my #2 favorite book after The Divided Mind.

Unfortunately, we have seen a huge rise in TMS symptoms and anxiety the last few years. For which we can blame world problems and information overload, IMHO, as well as a whole generation raised in fear of everything. For individuals sensitive to TMS symptoms, this is not helping, and honestly, I don't have an answer, because I'm still working on it myself. But you're definitely not alone!

~Jan

MWsunin12 likes this.