1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 25

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Padraig, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Padraig

Padraig Newcomer

Its day 25 for me. I am low, anxious depressed and sore. I feel confused - don't really know where to start or end with all the emotions and thoughts

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Padraig, I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder if you shouldn't take a break and try something else for a while? Maybe take some time to appreciate yourself for being willing to make this big change in your way of thinking? Self-love and acceptance are a big stumbling block for many of us with TMS.

I wonder if Claire Weeke's book, Hope and Help For Your Nerves would be something to read instead of working the SEP? It's a small book, an easy read, and very nurturing - it has helped a LOT of people with anxiety and related symptoms. We often recommend it around here.

There's also our second program, which is quite different from the SEP, and more emotionally-oriented - it's Alan Gordon's TMS Recovery Program. It's not very structured at all, and again, might be something different that will maybe shake things up a bit for you.

There is no one way to do this work - you need to trust your instincts, and find what works for you. There are a ton of resources out there.

Perhaps someone else has some suggestions..... folks?

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi,Padraig. I'm sorry you're discouraged, but I understand. I like Jan's suggestions. Claire Weeke's book is excellent, and so is Alan Gordon's program. I also suggest that you find things to do that make you happy. Laugh or at least smile. They both release calming endorphins that help heal us and lift our spirits.

You also might find some help in these thoughts:

Christian D. Larson
    American metaphysical and New Thought author
    (1874-1954)

Promise Yourself

To be so strong that nothing
    can disturb your peace of mind.
    To talk health, happiness, and prosperity
    to every person you meet.

To make all your friends feel
    that there is something in them
    To look at the sunny side of everything
    and make your optimism come true.

To think only the best, to work only for the best,
    and to expect only the best.
    To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others
    as you are about your own.

To forget the mistakes of the past
    and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
    To wear a cheerful countenance at all times
    and give every living creature you meet a smile.

To give so much time to the improvement of yourself
    that you have no time to criticize others.
    To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear,
    and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

To think well of yourself and to proclaim this fact to the world,
    not in loud words but great deeds.
    To live in faith that the whole world is on your side
    so long as you are true to the best that is in you.

4. seangela

seangela New Member

I've been listening to the audio book of Claire Weekes: Hope and Help for Your Nerves and find her voice and tone very calming and inspiring. I think listening to her words and advice is even better than reading them for myself, personally. Maybe it will help you too. Good luck and hang in there.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

We are all subject to confusion with our plethora of human feelings. While we all get overwhelmed by our feelings and thoughts. The more we practice investigating and tolerating feelings, and observing our mind, the easier it gets.

It may help to mention also that we don't have to try to change any of what's going on inside ourselves, in order to use Dr. Sarno's work. He directs us to just see and understand how the inner life leads to pain --connecting what we are seeing and feeling inside to the need not to feel, so that pain arises as a distraction. We can't stop the inner turmoil.

So in a way, your difficulties of late are giving you a great deal of evidence of the kind of suffering going on inside that "does not want to be felt." Perhaps you are getting direct evidence of the dynamic which causes the TMS. Just knowing this is the source of your symptoms is enough to undermine TMS.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Awesome insight.

In other words, Padraig, although it doesn't feel good right now, this could be good news. It's the "symptom imperative", proof that you're shaking things up.

Dr. Sarno eventually came to believe that anxiety and depression were TMS equivalents, which I believe to be 100% correct, based on my own recovery experiences five years ago. They are distractions, created by your brain to keep you from experiencing your true negative emotions.

mike2014 likes this.