1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New Program Day 21: Paving Your Own Path

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Lauren T

Lauren T Peer Supporter

I say ditto to all the thank you threads! I have really loved this program. It needs to be out there in the world not just in TMS. So deeply helpful. I'm going to start again and work on tinnitus symptoms... blessings to everyone!!!

plum likes this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

shmps likes this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Sweetness,

I think Somatic Tracking is a major candidate for further exploration. Over time you'll see this being explored and expanded as people contribute to the wiki page/document @Forest links to above.

Regarding recovering from abuse you may like to explore the writings and videos of Dr. Peter Levine. He does specifically address sexual abuse and there is a book and accompanying CD but I have not read or heard it so cannot personally recommend it. Maybe someone here has more insight into that?
    There are lots of interviews on YouTube that may help you develop night vision and lots of posts about him on this forum.

I have found yin yoga to be exceptionally powerful for forging a healthy, grounded relationship with my body. My experience of yin yoga tallies totally with somatic tracking. Lastly @shmps mentions TRE (Trauma Release Exercises) earlier in this thread. If you follow my reply you'll find a YouTube video that explains trauma release. TRE is considered to be the missing link in Peter Levine's work.

Go gently and be a cuddly bear of brave heart.

Blessings,

Plum x

shmps, nele and Lauren T like this.
  4. Eugene

Eugene Well known member

I did a lot of reading on TRE and even attended a full-day course on the topic.

There is definitely something to it, and the I certainly had the full impact of the tremoring. I think I (as I often do) approached it a little to zealously. I was doing it pretty much every day for a few weeks, whereas the teacher had recommended to only do it two or three times a week. I should have followed her advice, but when you're keen to fix something it is easy to be far to keen.

If trauma is an issue for you Lauren I would highly recommend looking into it as it does make a lot of sense.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and I will be happy to help if I can.

Lauren T likes this.
  5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

You are adorable. :)

Tis best to allow the body time to assimilate between sessions. Recovery needs an organic blend of discipline and rest.

Eugene likes this.
  6. nele

nele Peer Supporter

You expressed my thougths so well! I want underline all your words.
    I am grateful from the bottom of my heart to all of you!!!

Christie Uipi MSW, plum and Eugene like this.
  7. Pickle

Pickle Newcomer

Enjoyed the program very much! It is a lot of information so it's good to know I don't have to do ALL of it to improve. For me the biggest road block is that I don't have a lot of pain; hardly any actually, but rather a bunch of other symptoms that haven't been medically explained. I am a TMS personality for sure, but when all of the posts talk about pain, pain, pain, it's a little hard for me to include myself, so at the end of the day I still have that uncertainty and that causes anxiety. Why don't I have pain like everyone else? Maybe I have MS, and blah, blah, blah. That would be my one suggestion for the future is to be sure to include a few more examples of non-pain TMS issues so people like me don't just automatically exclude themselves.

James59, nele, plum and 1 other person like this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I just love your username. I like your suggestions too. Other people have mentioned similar issues so they will definitely be included. I remember very well how in my early days of learning about TMS, I desperately needed reassurance that what I had could be TMS. Surety leverages healing.

9. LEW

LEW Peer Supporter

Thanks Alan and Forest and all who participated. I think I am finally understanding how this works. I'll be staying on the forum for probably a very long time. I look forward to hearing about everyone's continued success. Lew

10. Plumcrazy

Plumcrazy Peer Supporter

I so appreciate the collective work that went into the development of this program. I don't live anywhere near a TMS therapist, so this has been a treasure.

Two huge take-always for me are:

1) Tell the pain that it is OK and that I am safe.
    2) Smile everyday. Smile big, no matter how I am feeling.

Today, I am feeling surprisingly strong and contented, no matter what.

nele and Lauren T like this.
  11. shira

shira New Member

Alan,
    a huge THANK YOU for this amazing programme, and for the way your excellent presentation and structure of it all, has helped me (and many others) so very much ! You have given us all fantastic new ideas and tools, to use in our journey to becoming pain free, and TMS free.
    love and blessings
    Shira

12. hsbarry

hsbarry Peer Supporter

I had an epiphany today. I decided that I am going to start treating myself like a dog because I actually treat myself worse than a dog. Let me explain.

Let's pretend your dog is wounded but let's say you know that the wound will heal and isn't harmful. The dog doesn't know this, though, and is very distressed and afraid. You would speak very softly and quietly to the dog telling it that everything is going to be okay and that the dog is safe (cognitive soothing). You might check the animal all over for other wounds not to heal them but just to check in a very loving, soft way (somatic tracking). You would move slowly and speak softly. You wouldn't rush. You would take your time. You would breath with the dog in a quiet manner. You would pay total attention to the dog and not be distracted by anything (active meditation). You would offer the dog some food from your hand and let it lick water from your fingers. You wouldn't force it to eat what it didn't want and you would let the dog take a lot of time. You would praise it for any little bit it could get down and not worry about what it was eating. Then, when things were more settled, you might smile at the dog (Julia Robert's smile) and remind it about how fun it is to chase squirrels (embrace joy). If the dog snarls at you (more pain), you wouldn't get angry but you would understand that it needs more time, more soothing, more gentle attention.

Hope this might be helpful. I also think if I can keep working with these tools, as a reward I will buy myself a little stuffed Winnie the Pooh. Take care.

Hayley, suky, gailnyc and 12 others like this.
  13. Treehugger

Treehugger New Member

Alan, thank you so very much for all the time and energy you put into this program. I have shared it with friends and family and have heard very positive comments about it. Looking forward to the synopsis!

14. Treehugger

Treehugger New Member

Thank you so much for all your help with this program, Forest. As always, you come through with what is needed.

Forest likes this.
  15. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this!

Lauren T likes this.
  16. Lauren T

Lauren T Peer Supporter

I agree and love the thought that I can be happy. I love being happy and sadness worry and trying to be perfect have robbed me! I get to choose!

17. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, I look forward to your self-assessment exercise. Your posts on Alan Gordon have added some excellent concepts to his outstanding program. And I do hope TMSers will exchange views on each of Gordon's daily posts. I think we all learn a lot from each other's journey in TMS. I healed from back pain by discovering and accepting the emotional causes of it, but there are times when some pain returns and I have to remind myself why it's there, that's it's caused by my emotions. I do a self-assessment on myself, put it all in a positive perspective, and it helps to relieve the pain, but I will benefit from your thoughts and technique.

18. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

James54 and Lunarlass66 posted about self-soothing. Here are some techniques to self-soothe through each of the senses:
    • Sight: Go to a pretty spot in nature or a local park (or even just in your memory or imagination). Look at photos of beautiful art or go to a museum to see it. Buy or pick some flowers and put them where you will see and smell them. Watch a YouTube video of lovely nature scenery. Color in a coloring book (a mandala coloring book is a good option for adults).
    • Sound: Listen to calming music. YouTube has wonderful free videos of relaxing music. Listen to ocean or other nature sounds (also on YouTube). Sing or hum a soothing song. Listen to a cat purr. Go outside and notice the birds chirping. Beat rhythmically on a drum.
    • Smell: Light a scented candle. Sniff some essential oil or perfume. Try a calming scent like lavender, orange, or bergamot. Cook a fragrant meal or bake something yummy.
    • Touch: Take a warm bath or shower. Wear soft, comfortable clothes. Pet your dog or cat. Snuggle up in a soft blanket. Use a heated waist or shoulder wrap. Go outside and feel the warm breeze on your skin.
    • Taste: Sip herbal tea, such as chamomile. Drink hot milk or cocoa. Suck on a lollipop or mint. Savor a piece of chocolate. Enjoy a delicious meal.
    • Kinesthetic: Rock in a rocking chair. Go for a gentle stroll. Dance or sway to calming music. Do some stretches. Toss or bounce a ball.

nele likes this.
  19. hambone

hambone Peer Supporter

Now that we have Alan's 21 part masterpiece, how would you advise a new TMS patient (a friend of mine) to start the healing process? Up until now I've had people begin with reading Dr. Sarno's Mind-Body Prescription followed by Dr. Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain workbook.

Question: Where do you see "Alan's 21" fitting into a new patient's learning curve? Only if the one- two punch of Sarno/Schubiner above does not work? Or substitute Alan's 21 for Schubiner? Other?

I realize each person has his or her own path. My goal is to implant key concepts in new patient with a minimum of confusing complexity. I wonder if a new patient could start with Alan's 21?

Question: Where is "Alan's 21" program located in final form on tms wiki? I can't find it. I find his recovery program from 2013.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Laleah Shoo Shoo likes this.
  20. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

It hasn't been moved there yet. Alan is making a few refinements. I'm sure @Forest will post a notification when it does.

hambone likes this.