1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Program Day 2: The Nature of Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Lostboy

Lostboy Peer Supporter

This relate to me very well
    Fear of having desease that my older sister had. That leads me to develop the same symptoms.

2. Lostboy

Lostboy Peer Supporter

Our mind can't differentiate.. Between the anxiety that we have when physical danger is there or the daily life events like interviews, social media, exams stress etc. Brain have the same impact on our body as it you face bear.
    It's terrible to know that we living in a life, where daily we had that much impact on our mind and body.

3. kallas1457

kallas1457 New Member

I am just starting this journey. I started awhile ago but I really didn't understand what it all meant so I wasn't fully engaged in the process. So I am kinda starting over after doing much reading and practicing and knowing what I want to practice doing. I guess thoe biggest thing is for me to learn to soothe myself. I am trying to practice some those like walking, watching nature, meditation, crocheting, reading, watching Reba on tv back in early 2000's, ha!
    So if you could please give some good guidelines to go by. I know there isn't a recipe but at least where I should start. I have been watching Dan Buglio's videos and they are very helpful and I certainly appreciate doing that every day. He gives great advice!!
    I want to get on the right foot, so to speak, and do this. I am determined but I have learned that I can not push myself, that is one of the worse things to do.
    Thank you so much.

ps. I wanted to use Foozey for my handle, or whatever you call, but I don't know how.

4. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Welcome!
    Keep going! It’s a lovely unfolding process. The people here are kind and wise.
    Recovering from TMS is like waking for a bad dream and then staying awake.

5. kallas1457

kallas1457 New Member

Thank you so much.
    I am experiencing so much anxiety. It feels like there is a band around my head, I know it is just a sensation, a feeling and I want to get to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore and just go on with my journey. Can someone give me some advice how to look at this and keep my mind steady? I really need some help.
    Thank you.

6. Bodhigirl

If you don’t mind my cussing, I say things like “so effing what?” To the tension. urge you to try the meditation app headspace - mindfulness is key - cultivating the ability to observe anxiety and feel it and allow it to pass.

Feelings are waves of existence. None are permanent. Pain is like frozen emotion. Mostly anger but for me it was grief. Massive grief. Trauma. We each unfold our stories.
    Do a lesson here each day. Go back and read what others have written. Identification can be very healing.

Lainey likes this.
  7. kallas1457

kallas1457 New Member

Ok, thank you so much!
    I needed some encouragement!
    I have been reading many posts.

Bodhigirl likes this.
  8. GShaw

GShaw Peer Supporter

Hi kallas,

Welcome to this Forum!

Alan Gordon has done an amazing job putting this program together. The fact it is free is just a testament as to how much he wants to help people.

I started my journey on this forum about 2 years ago. I was unable to stand or walk due to shin pain and after half way through the program things started to change. Today I am walking an average of 3 plus hours daily with NO shin pain at the age of 56.

I have Alan Gordon to "THANK" for getting me back up on my feet.

I really hope you have the results you do deserve. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll see amazing results.

Alan Gordon's program works and it works very well! When I went through the program my first time I reflect back into my life to try and make connections. This helped me understand more about my life growing up.

Look forward to seeing how your journey goes...

Greg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Katya, Bodhigirl and kallas1457 like this.
  9. kallas1457

kallas1457 New Member

10. kallas1457

kallas1457 New Member

Hi Greg,
    Thanks so much for responding to me. There is one thing besides the pain I have is I have a tightness around my head or a band around my head. I am thinking it is tms but it bothers me more than the pain. I don't know what to do or how to get a handle on it without it giving me anxiety. I really want to do the journey but I get myself caught up in this feeling in my head. I would appreciate you or someone to help to get through this.

Thanks again,
    Faye

11. Bodhigirl

Hi, Kallas. The way I have recovered and continue to recover is by acknowledging that my body is expressing feelings and that, if I am able to admit those feelings to myself, then I can let my body off the hook for doing all the heavy lifting! This TMS is unconscious avoiding of rage, sadness, grief, anxiety... and when we make it conscious, telling the symptom that it's not a big deal, there's nothing wrong, we BREAK THE TRANCE of the TMS by giving the ego power. I've always thought the 12 step concept of powerlessness comes in handy here. I can't control the symptom but, together, we can change it up. Above all, trust the process. We are all recovering together.

kallas1457 likes this.
  12. kallas1457

kallas1457 New Member

13. kallas1457

kallas1457 New Member

Hi Bodhigirl, My name is Faye so you can use from now if you like. I didn't know how to put my nickname, Foozey, in my information so that's why it is not stated.
    Thank you again for the info. That is what I am practicing, these feelings are no big deal, they are only sensations and just let them be and not fight them. Some days are ok and then some are crazy. I have journaled quite a lot and now I just journal when something comes up that bothers me.
    I am so glad you are where you're at. That's super. You will make it.
    I am going to continue on the Pain Recovery Program that Alan Gordon has for us.
    Thanks again and have a good day.

Bodhigirl likes this.
  14. Bodhigirl

Hi, Faye. Keep writing!

kallas1457 likes this.
  15. kallas1457

kallas1457 New Member

Bodhigirl, Thanks for keeping in touch with me and encouraging me!

16. kallas1457

kallas1457 New Member

17. kallas1457

kallas1457 New Member

Hi Greg, Thanks so much for responding to my post. I am very thankful you are starting to see some results!!
    I am so impatient with myself but other people, I am pretty patient. I know I need to realize that all these feelings I have are just to keep me from danger. I know they are to protect me. The hardest thing for me right now is to get in the right mindset that these sensations will eventually go away once I can get my mind in the right place. If you have any suggestions that might help me, I would certainly appreciate. One thing I need to do is soothe myself more than I do. I do meditate,
    Thanks again and keep on the journey.

Faye

18. sorella23

sorella23 New Member

I had a very bad night last night after my zoom Thanksgiving with my family. It was lovely but I know I was sad before and after. So deep sadness caused deep pain. I would like my damned brain to know the difference. I am willing to see my sadness and sob if I need to. Why the pain? I guess I feel a loss like my brains go to thing is sciatica or more specifically leg pain. It's as if it comes cause it's familiar. I am so angry that I can't be in more control.

19. davida

davida New Member

I have been in increasing levels of pain in my neck and shoulders the last few months. It finally got to the point where I was unable to hike, swim, or do yoga, which were the things that kept the pain down. I came back to this forum, and start Alan's program. Yesterday, on day 2, I meditated for an hour, and the whole time paid attention to my feelings AND my tension, pain and rigidity in my neck and shoulders. Slowly my neck started to loosen up as I ever so gently moved and stretched it. At the same time I was picturing just loving and nurturing my wounded self. About 30 minutes in I felt a profound release of tension, to the point where my arms, shoulders, and neck felt like limp pasta! I was ecstatic at the thought that I wasn't terminally ill, destined to lay in a bed complaining while my wife cared for me, etc etc (yes, those are the crazy fears in my head). We went for a hike later in the morning, and I was able to stand up straight and walk with a relaxed pace for 2 hours. I have so much gratitude for Sarno, Alan, and all the members of this site who share their stories and love.

20. Dumpty

Dumpty Newcomer

I am so grateful for every single one of you and of course for you, Alan. This is the first thing that is giving me hope. I also dont know what certain things look like, like self compassion, lean into feelings etc, but i am trying to follow the suggestions posted here. My mother committed suicide and my father eventually abandoned us too(emotionally). My pain started almost 5 years ago in my feet. I had a slight injury and then my dad died and the floodgates opened. I so related to what so many people shared. I am saying affirmations, journaling, and trying to be kind and gentle with myself. I have not wanted to live since my dad passed and yet I have wonderful friends, husband and son. I am trying to talk to my feet and say you are fine, this is not physical and you are already getting better. So thank you again for all of your suggestions. I am Dumpty, by the way. Thank you and my heart is with you all