1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 10 Day 10: it won't stop me...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by David B, Dec 27, 2013.

1. David B

David B Well known member

Day 9 was another step forward. Reviewing Alan Gordon's program on how to think about symptoms and their sources really helped; I expect to go back to that section again. I was able to have business meeting for several hours virtually symptom free. I drove symptom free. My evening was pretty good too. Sleep came easier. It didn't last long but I feel fine and remind myself that I can always take a nap if I needed. I can always find a way to be kind to myself BUT FIRST lets see if those fear voices about not getting enough sleep are right. Wow there are a lot of negative thoughts in my head!

Just like with pain I'm taking Alan's advice to heart. When the pain comes up I'm talking to it but if it won't relent I tell to bring it on. I'm not scared I'm not intimidated. It might slow me down, I am human after all but it won't stop me or my recovery.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

David, it sounds like you have a good handle on TMS healing. Dr. Gordon's program is really great and I'm glad
    it's working for you.

If you have trouble getting to sleep, be sure to try deep breathing and positive mantras.
    My favorite mantra is an old one but really works for me:
    "Every day in every way I'm feeling better and better."
    Repeat it while deep breathing about 25 times, then again if needed.
    Picture yourself in a sunny, peaceful place like on a beach, the sun shining down on you and
    engulfing you like a blanket.

Don't take any troubles to bed with you. Take peace and calm with you.

3. David B

Thanks Walt. I will put this to use tonight.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

I agree with Walt. I did not sleep one entire night in November and it was tough. I now relax before bed with deep breathing and don't watch anything that might put my in a down mood, like the news! Something that also helped was lying in bed and listening to soothing meditation music or sounds. It is really amazing how much this can relax me. I also tell myself how my body is healthy and envision a peaceful night. If I did wake up, I would not freak out to know I might not get enough sleep. This usually helped me go back to sleep if I was up for a "pit stop". Just a side note, I had never had sleep problems before this, but the anxiety can be brutal. Good Health to you David!

5. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

I actually had no idea how much anxiety or negative thoughts I had before doing this program. Once I started seeing and realizing the chatter going on, I was amazed!
    I find that if I exercise everyday, it really helps with the sleep.

6. David B

I have been writing down any worry or even questions I had on my mind right before bed and wrote that I would think about them tomorrow and would get a full nights sleep. I added the breathing last night and I did get a pretty good nights sleep. Thanks all. Be well.

7. Ruth_L

Ruth_L Peer Supporter

Love this. TY.

Keep going, you're doing great!

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

David and Joseph, I'm glad the deep breathing, mantra, and positive thinking helps
    with your sleep. We can't let ourselves get angry if sleep doesn't come right away.
    We have to just let it come.

Another technique is counting backwards from 100 to 1 while we do deep breathing.
    It makes us focus our mind on the counting and not our anxieties or worries.
    If one lap of 100 doesn't do it for me, most often a second lap will.

Don't make a list of things that worry you too soon before bedtime.
    That could keep you awake.
    Make up the list a few hours earlier.

9. Stella

Stella Well known member

Dr. Hanscom has written about the trampoline effect.... when you try not to think about something, not only do you think about it more, you think about it a lot more. I will journal in the evening when I have something whirling around in my head. By getting it down on paper I get it out of my head stopping the trampoline effect.

When I deep breath I say to myself "I sleep deeply. I sleep soundly." I am reprogramming my brain. Yes, it will take time. But it is making a difference. I appreciate all the above suggestions.

Ruth_L likes this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Stella, the deep breathing and relaxing mantras are real great techniques to get to sleep and to heal.
    Don't forget laughter. The faster you laugh, the faster the pain or stress goes away.
    Pretend something is funny. Even a minute or two of laughing helps the symptoms go away.
    It releases natural painkillers in our body that tell our mind to relax and not worry.

11. Sanghagirl82

Sanghagirl82 Peer Supporter

I've had severe insomnia for years. I finally started taking a cartload of meds last year and have finally been sleeping. I am glad to see that relaxing and journaliing are working for you. It sounds like insomnia is part of your TMS. Dr. Gordon's program is a gift. I will be referring back to it often too. I wish you well. You deserve freedom as do we all