1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by tammyg, Jun 5, 2015.

1. tammyg

tammyg New Member

I am a 39 year old wife and mother of 2. I have been studying Dr. Sarnos book seriously for almost 4 weeks. I have been a runner for 20 years stopping only with each pregnancy for short periods of time. My running has always been both a stress reliever and almost a form of therapy for me. I did not know I was a type a personality until my physical therapist made the comment to me, I was kinda offended..lol. After reading Sarnos book I know that I am indeed a type a personality. My pain started intermittently a year and a half ago. I started getting a pain in my head right at the cranial 7th nerve. It would go away with Tylenol at first. I managed this pain for a long time also harboring a secret fear that I was dying. In October I entered a race and it ended up being an unorganized mess causing me to get lost on course and finish at the wrong line. I was very distraught I blamed myself for the confusion. It solidified there must be something really wrong with me. A few days later I woke up unable to turn my head. I made a dr.s appt terrified of what may come out of it. I was sent for mri on my neck. Results showed several bulging discs and an extruded disc. My doctor said no more running. I was crushed and scared. My life began to unravel, my neck head pain became my focus. Physical therapy, more xrays another mri, steroid shots. Everything showed little tendoinitis or nothing at all. My pain and anxiety worsened. I became dependant on rock tape to function. May 8th, on my son's 12th birthday my worry hit an all time high and I had a panic attack. I found Dr. Sarnos book and began reading it religiously. I removed my rock tape 2 days later and have not needed it since that was almost 4 weeks ago. My symptoms have moved from the cranial nerve pain to tension in the back and other side of my head. I also have the added perk of anxiety. I talk to my pain and can make it go away now. My concious brain really knows this is a result of my lifes trauma, but I wish someone would tell my subconscious. I am certain I will make a full recovery. I went back to running and feel great while doing it. I continue my life as though nothing is wrong but it is very challenging.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. Jojo61

Jojo61 Peer Supporter

Hi tammyg,

Welcome to the forum! I recently started the SEP too after reading dr. Sarno's book Healing Backpain. I'm on day 10 now. I find the SEP of great help on my journey to recovery. Reading succes stories on this site really helps me too. I know how dark life can get it the midst of extreme pain and worries. Feels like there's a bright light at the end of the tunnel now :) I wish you the best!

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Tammyg. I share Jojo's confidence that you have TMS and will heal. The SEP is a great help. I healed from
    severe back pain after going through the SEP. Journaling helped me to discover repressed emotions going back
    to my boyhood when my parents divorced when I was seven. The divorce left me with feelings of abandonment
    and insecurity. Journaling helped me to understand that my parents had TMS too and that helped me to
    forgive them. Forgiveness led to me healing.

You realize you have had a lot of emotional stress. Now journal about that and it will help you to put it to rest.

It's great that you're running again. Ignore or accept any pain that comes from it. Keep reminding yourself
    it's emotional, not structural.

You can help yourself while going through the SEP by deep breathing, meditation, and laughing.
    I laugh away headaches and anxiety. Laughter sends healing to our body and mind. I'll share thoughts on that with
    you in a moment.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

The Mayo Clinic agrees... laughing relieves stress.

Even if there is nothing funny going on in your life, and movies and tv don't make you laugh,
    just pretend something is funny and laugh. You fool your subconscious that you're not in pain or
    worrying about anything.

A good sense of humor can't cure all ailments, but data are mounting about the positive things laughter can do.

Short-term benefits

A good laugh has great short-term effects. When you start to laugh, it doesn't just lighten your load mentally, it actually induces physical changes in your body. Laughter can:

• Stimulate many organs. Laughter enhances your intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulates your heart, lungs and muscles, and increases the endorphins that are released by your brain.
    • Activate and relieve your stress response. A rollicking laugh fires up and then cools down your stress response and increases your heart rate and blood pressure. The result? A good, relaxed feeling.
    • Soothe tension. Laughter can also stimulate circulation and aid muscle relaxation, both of which help reduce some of the physical symptoms of stress.
    Long-term effects

Laughter isn't just a quick pick-me-up, though. It's also good for you over the long haul. Laughter may:

• Improve your immune system. Negative thoughts manifest into chemical reactions that can affect your body by bringing more stress into your system and decreasing your immunity. In contrast, positive thoughts actually release neuropeptides that help fight stress and potentially more-serious illnesses.
    • Relieve pain. Laughter may ease pain by causing the body to produce its own natural painkillers. Laughter may also break the pain-spasm cycle common to some muscle disorders.
    • Increase personal satisfaction. Laughter can also make it easier to cope with difficult situations. It also helps you connect with other people.
    • Improve your mood. Many people experience depression, sometimes due to chronic illnesses. Laughter can help lessen your depression and anxiety and make you feel happier.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi tammyg,
    I love hearing the confidence in your story. It is hard to do what you are doing, and you are doing it!!! I lived with very involved athletic taping for foot pain for about a year. I thought it relieved the severe foot pain. But it worked less and less over time. What a relief to give all this "wrong-headed" approach, and find real relief. Many good wishes to you on this deepening journey.
    Andy B.

6. tammyg

tammyg New Member

Thank you for your thoughtfulness in writing back Walt. Funny you should bring up laughing because I have been dancing with my 9 year old daughter when I start feeling anxiety and that ends up being a complete laugh fest as I am not up on most of her moves. It really seems to help and now I know why. :)

7. tammyg

tammyg New Member

Yes it does. Thank you and I wish the best as well.

8. tammyg

tammyg New Member

Thank you and yes I know what you mean by "very involved taping" it's pretty wild how one day I just took it off and that was the end of that. ;) All the best to you!