1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JKirsch, Apr 2, 2014.

1. JKirsch

JKirsch New Member

I have had chronic headaches, neck pain, and recurring back pain for 13 years. It started during an LDS mission in Argentina. The first 3 months were horrible, and I believe my pain started because I wanted a way out and consciously knew I wasn't going to call it quits and leave before my 2 years were done.

I buy into Sarno's theory. There is nothing structurally wrong with me. I first discovered Sarno about 5 years ago. It made sense to me, and I had tried everything else with no success.

I read Healing Back Pain and Mind-Body Prescription, and started journaling and talking to my pain, but I didn't get better.

I just discovered the tmswiki, and am going to follow the education program.

Any tips?

North Star likes this.
  2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Good observation on yourself about 'wanting out.' That's how it works.

You have to get fully away from any thoughts that your body is somehow structurally broken. The first step is in acceptance like in AA. Also remember that Dr. Sarno's is not "theory" but clinically and conclusively proven fact. If you've been worked-up fully then you have TMS. You can heal.

If you're not moving along then you're not doing something right, or your belief and confidence need built up further. Tell more of your story if you want, and try whatever education program you're talking about here to see where it takes you.

You've come to the right place. Good luck.

Pillar 1 ~~> gathering info
    Pillar 2 ~~> acting on the info

Few make it to pillar 2.

Steve

zumanon, Ellen and North Star like this.
  3. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

JKirsch, Just wanted to welcome you to our corner of the net. You'll find this is a wonderful community, full of loving people who will encourage you in your journey. I believe it is instrumental in my healing.

So my big tip for you is this - Sit down and stay awhile! welcomea

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

JKirsch, Steve and North Star gave you great advice and encouragement. If you're starting the Structural Education Program, that's a very good way to start, having already read the two Dr. Sarno books. Also, look at the success stories forum for examples of how others have healed from TMS symptoms. Get at those repressed emotions! Most times, that's where the pain comes from, while others need to think about their personalities that may be compulsive, over-achieving, self-critical. The TMSWiki is a great place to meet people with similar symptoms and get their advice and compassion.