1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by gabrielxz, Oct 22, 2022.

1. gabrielxz

gabrielxz Newcomer

Hi everyone, I just finished Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection and found this wiki and the Structured Educational Program. I've had back pain off and on for decades now. In the last 6 months, it's gotten much worse. I've been to several doctors, PT, and gotten multiple x-rays and MRIs. The doctors found some small irregularities, but nothing terribly serious. In fact, they seemed to think I should be fine with exercise, rest, and stretching. I definitely haven't been fine. This back pain feels like it's stolen my life from me. It prevents me from wrestling with my kids, prevents me from performing simple house chores, and makes me fearful to ever go anywhere.

I saw a post on Reddit a few days ago about a guy who read Dr Sarno's book and was completely cured. It seemed illogical to me, but I'm so desperate, I'll try almost anything. After reading the book, I'd say I'm 50% convinced. Some of the things in the book make a lot of sense to me. I think that the mind can have a powerful influence over the body. I've been thinking for months how odd it is that I have this weird intermittent and varying pain all over my back (mostly in lower back, but sometimes upper and neck). I was starting to believe I had some "generalized" back problems. It kind of makes more sense that I have a mental problem.

However, I don't exactly fit the profile. I'm not a perfectionist or type A personality. I'm generally a very happy person. The only part that resonated with me is I have been having a lot of strife with my spouse over the last decade. In the last year, it has occasionally made me very depressed.

So, I'm trying this program. I had a talk with my brain earlier today. I'm trying to recognize any latent feelings I have. Amazingly, I've had a pain free afternoon & evening so far. It feels unbelievable that it could happen so fast, especially with me being very skeptical, but I'm hopeful. I'm still a little scared to do certain movements, but I've been trying to go about my daily activities in a more normal fashion. So far so good. I'm also trying to prepare myself for pain if it happens and take solace in the knowledge that it is likely not due to any serious structural problem. That's the main thing that has been easy for me to accept since it is perfectly in line with all my diagnoses so far.

ChrisWGill and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Seanlane

Seanlane New Member

This sounds very similar to my back issues right now Gabriel.
    The best of luck with your recovery journey.

Sean

JanAtheCPA likes this.