1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Japanchick, May 23, 2013.

1. Japanchick

Japanchick New Member

I've been reading this thread for a little while. I put up quite a long self intro the other day, having just found this site. The reason I posted immediately is because after reading only a little of Dr. Sarno's book The Divided Mind, I have taken only 2 allergy pills in an entire week. The only reason I took the second one was to try to relieve my skin problems, it didn't help, so therefore I didn't need it.

I'm at the start of my recovery so I'm sill not into the swing of things but I had been taking 2 24 hour allergy tablets a day until recently. Now my rhinitis is practically gone within a week.

The problem that I'm having now is that my skin is reacting. I live in a tropical place and the rainy season has just started, which means the humidity is at 100% every day now, whether it's raining or not. I cannot figure out if my itchy hands and feet are TMS or caused by the hot, humid weather here. The weather is just now starting to get hot, so it's going to get much MUCH hotter in the next few weeks, and it will last until December before it cools down again. How do I figure out if this terribly distracting and annoying symptom is TMS or not? Creams don't help, ignoring it doesnsn't SEEM to help so I don't know what to do about this. It's not just my hands, my skin is reacting in many places, especially long my chinline and around my hairline. It's coming up in rashes and small spots. I don't have any food allergies, the rhinitis has mostly gone away and all that remains are these random skin problems. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I not embracing the TMS theory with enough gusto for this situation or could it possibly be due to the climate here?

I should note that about a year ago, I had a very bad case of eczema all over my scalp, along with other places, which was most definitely due to stress.. I just don't know if I should ignore it. But if I treat it, nothing seems to help anyway... It's frustrating

2. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Welcome to the forum Japanchick
    I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you for certain the cause of your itchy skin but there are many who believe that the skin is actually the most accurate, and primary reflector of the nervous system. I know that is definitely true for myself. When I am stressed out my skin breaks out, when I am anxious I feel tingles and electric impulses in many places but the strongest are usually in my hands and feet (because these 2 areas are the "first" action takers). Perhaps your skin is reacting to your emotions?