1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by John, Mar 5, 2013.

1. John

John New Member

Although I am kind of sceptical ( I 've already tried out lot of alternative healing methods) I`ll give it a chance.

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Welcome, John!

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, John. Wondering how you're doing? Are you still in pain? What kind of pain?
    What are you doing about it? What book(s) are you reading?
    Is the TMSWiki.org/forum helping you?

Are you still skeptical? Does that mean you're skeptical about Dr. Sarno's belief
    that our pain can be caused by our repressed emotions? I found that by journaling
    I discovered I had a lot of them, from my boyhood on to the present. Just by
    recognizing them, not necessarily even changing any or all of my repressed emotions,
    I became free of bad back pain. Hope I can help you heal, or others in the
    TNSWiki family can.

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome, John! I, too, tried many alternative healing methods, as well as medical interventions, before discovering the concept of TMS. I spent almost 20 years and 10's of thousands of dollars and nothing helped until I embraced the concept of TMS and started practicing the techniques that you will find outlined here. But the only way you will discover if it works for you is to keep an open mind and dive in. Sounds like you have done just that. You will find lots of wisdom and compassion on this site. Best wishes.....

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey John and Welcome,

I think we are all skeptical to some degree when we first start out with this approach. I know that I had a lot of doubt in the beginning. This is due to our society and the culture of medicine in general. One thing that has helped many people overcome their doubts is to create an evidence sheet like the one that Alan Gordon describes in his program. Reminding yourself of all the reasons you have TMS is helpful at reducing those thoughts that your symptoms are physical.

I found that a lot of my own doubts about TMS had more to do with past treatment failures, more than anything else. Most of us come to TMS after having every other treatment fail. These failures really do influence how we start out new techniques. At least some part of us always thinks that whatever approach we use will fail at some point. The difference that you need to understand though is that the TMS approach is fundamentally different from every other approach that failed. This is the only approach that treats the true cause of our symptoms, repressed emotions. This is the reason it works. Also, I don't consider TMS as an alternative healing method. TMS is simply good medicine based on scientific evidence and thousands of case studies. As Dr. Sarno wrote in the Introduction of The Divided Mind:

The Divided Mind is about the principles and practice of psychosomatic medicine. It is not about alternative medicine, or some trendy New Age regimen. It is about straightforward, clinically tested medicine, as practiced by licensed physicians for over thirty years, working with thousands of patients. ​

6. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I think John is gone. That was a resurrected post. But I wish him well.