1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Dirk, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Dirk

Dirk Newcomer

Hi all,

Started Day 1 of the Structured Educational Program so I'm here for a little introduction.

21 years old, starting experiencing pain in the right hand/wrist playing video games and excessive computer use. Pain started to get worse when I was actively using my hands, and the pain persisted when I wasn't using them. The pain seemed to jump to my left hand as well, which I found particularly analogous to some of the stories I have now read about TMS. It eventually got to the point where I couldn't play video games anymore, couldn't make music on my computer, and could hardly mouse/keyboard without experiencing numbness/pain. This was pretty frustrating as it meant I couldn't spend my free time as I was used to.

I saw a orthopedic hand doctor and was diagnosed with RSI, and was told that it was due to overuse and the pain would go away if I stopped my activities. I was referred to a CHT who showed me some stretches to do, and upon noticing pain while doing nerve related stretches, I was told my problem was more along the lines of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and if I let things continue to get worse I might need surgery. I stopped virtually all activities which caused my hands pain, but the numbness/pain/tingling started to get much worse.

Since then, (about 2 months), I have made attempts to drastically change my lifestyle as I now have far too much free time on my hands that I was used to spending at home on the computer. This whole ordeal has been pretty stressful, and I have become considerably more anxious than I'm used to feeling. Other factors like school/work/family issues are definitely a factor, and I am very open to the idea that this pain is psychologically influenced. I have started reading Sarno's The Mindbody Prescription, and see some aspects of myself through reading, but I'm not sure how effective this program will be for me. I like to think that I am conscious of my emotions of anger and frustration, so I don't know how much unconscious, repressed emotion could be causing pain.

Regardless, I'm willing to try, and I look forward to the possibility of healing myself through this program.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Dirk. Welcome to the TMSWiki and the SEProgram. You have come to the right place to heal.
    The SEProgram helped me to heal from severe back pain. Through journaling, I discovered that I had been repressing harmful emotions since my boyhood.

You say you are conscious of you emotions of anger and frustration. That's very good. The program asks that you feel the emotions causing your pain. I just posted an article about this in the General Discussion Subforum titled "How to Get in Touch with Your Feeling." I think you will find it helpful.

Good luck and let us know your TMS healing progress.