1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by 0208mad, Nov 13, 2016.

1. 0208mad

0208mad Peer Supporter

Xxxxx

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, 0208mad. You do have a lot on your plate. But as others have replied, you will come through it all. If it is any consolation, I just read today about a single mother in the Bronx, age 33, who has five sons, three of which have autism, and she has been broke and unemployed for years. She is getting financial help from social agencies, but under a great deal of emotional stress parenting. If misery loves company, you are not alone, and I doubt the Bronx woman knows about TMS, which could help her a lot.

3. 0208mad

0208mad Peer Supporter

Day 9

Trying my best not to be scared but I am. Very scared. I'm afraid of my symptoms and they know it. Really struggling.

4. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Hi I hope I am posting this right as day 1. I have been down a long road as I am sure many of you have and had everything possible and been everywhere possible and then to possible itself so to speak. I am in pain 24/7 to various levels for over 20 years and have had surgery and I have 4 screws in L4 &L5. I have TMS its in everything I am from , believe and in the situation I live in with stress and anxieties in my life. Now I know for sure what is wrong with me I need to get my head into how to change it, I tried on and off over the past 10 months but everything the pain would escalate and new areas would pop up, I know now that's a strategy and am on to it.I know I sound brave but in truth I am conpletly worn down by it all, this situation escalated when my healthy husband had a heart attack at 38 and then a few years ago my Mammy dies BOOM I now have Panic attacks and an anxiety disorder...ME who is the last person who would get any mental health issues . Or so I believed ,In my family you "Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps " and get on with it. Well I am doing that now for the first time in my life for the right reasons , me to get better not to repress or shut stuff down; i'm getting on with this amazing forum and program and I am excited and nervous for the journey. Thanks so much for listening to me and I hope to talk to you at some stage soon .

5. 0208mad

0208mad Peer Supporter

Day 10

Well yesterday and today I have been feeling good. Yesterday morning I got up as usual and of course my symptoms started straight away. But this time I said " ok you carry on doing your thing and I'm gonna set about the various things Im going to do" When I got dressed( this has always been a scary time because although it's hard to believe when you don't feel this but having hypersensitive skin that's tingling burning or itching it is an awful time of the day) I thought NO i am not going to wear the same old shirt that my symptoms demand I'm going to wear a long sleeved jumper as its so cold outside, so symptoms you are gonna have to bloody well like it if not go on act like an imputent child I'm not changing my mind.
    This is something I have been taught on my CBT Therepy course I had earlier in the year and it really works.
    Do you know I went on to have a fantastic day symptoms played up at first but because I showed no fear, they quieted down pretty quickly. I went shopping bought a lovely gym kit. I have just started the gym and promised myself if after six weeks I'm still going I'm going to splash out on some proper gym wear. I then came home and was on such a high that I went on to put up all my Chistmas decorations, a job which takes 6 hours and I had been dreading because of my symptoms.
    I'm today still doing well, my left eye twitching has gone on from just on the top lid to now the muscle under the eye but TMS do your worst because now I'm on to you !!!
    Ooh another thing that TMS has thrown at me. I haven't had Cycitis for over 30 years, but because the day before yesterday I was thinking a lot about how I used to get it badly hey presto it just appeared yesterday. But because I was taking any nonsense from my symptoms it went completely in a matter of hours only to try its luck again in the evening. I know this is my subconscious trying it on !!!!!

6. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

0208mad, I'm happy to read your post- great progress.,I can relate to the hypersensitive skin garbage that you mentioned. In the past I have decided to wear jeans even though they feel so uncomfortable, and there have been times they hardly bothered me. I just have to stick to the positive attitude.

Have a great weekend!

7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations on your success! This is how recovery from TMS is done--one day at a time. So be very kind to yourself as you work through the difficult emotional issues you have been dealing with for so long. Be patient and keep doing the SEP and practice outcome independence. Your TMS symptoms may come and go on your road to recovery, but you can continue to live your life and find joy within each day.

8. 0208mad

0208mad Peer Supporter

Day 11
    So so happy I feel I am getting better. I want to shout it from the roof tops. I have taken full control of my symptoms today and do you know what it feels wonderful.
    Twice today TMS started to try and crank up the symptoms and twice I have manage d to control it. I feel really really proud of myself.
    I know I am gonna get rid of these awful awful symptoms and get off those toxic painkillers. :) :)

9. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

0208mad I am so happy for you. It also gives me hope and I really need that right now. I am wondering if I should take the meds you are on. Like you, I don't want to. Do you find they have been part of your progress? Are you on any antidepressants?

I am rooting for you.:))

10. DianaYourell

DianaYourell Newcomer

11. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

12. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Im so happy for you and its given me hope and inspiration , I know how a simple thing like day feeling free can feel when you get a gap in the hedge of long term opression so "Go you" it all ahead of us .xx

13. 0208mad

0208mad Peer Supporter

Day 13

Hi everyone we'll had quite a bit of pain this evening but trying really hard to resist getting down about it. Today I was asked on the program, which bit of what you have read has been the most helpful. This has to be from Alan Gordon which was about breaking the pain cycle. Check it out. It's fantastic !!!!

tgirl likes this.
  14. 0208mad

0208mad Peer Supporter

Hi sorry I haven't replied earler strangely just read this message. Yes I do think they have helped my progress. Lycra ( pregabalin) has defineatly lifted my mood and helped with the pain. I've had no side effects and my body adjusted well to them. Now the Amitriptiline I am slowly decreasing that because that does cause weight gain. If you can manage with out the meds then try and do so. But yes they defineately do help.

tgirl likes this.
  15. 0208mad

0208mad Peer Supporter

The Amitriptiline is an antidepressant but it has to be taken in much higher doses.
    I too am rooting for you :) xx

tgirl likes this.
  16. 0208mad

0208mad Peer Supporter

Day 16

Well symptoms have been pretty bad today, but I have to admit, I have had a lot on my mind for various reasons. I have also been focusing on my symptoms a lot which is a definite no no and has given them energy. The question to ponder on today is whether I have told anyone about my TMS symptoms since starting the programme. Well the answer is YES just about anyone and everyone who would listen. All my friends, family have been extremely supportive. I have decided after a Skype session with a TMS Therapist that Alan Young suggested, Derek Sapico that I am going to have weekly sessions with Derek. Of course I will keep going on the programme and keep you all informed how I am progressing :)

17. 0208mad

0208mad Peer Supporter

Day 20

Question to ponder, what is the one thing you would change if you could. Well that's easy, the pain and the awfulness of these symptoms. I want it GONEplain and simple.

18. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Antidepressants may give temporary relief from depression, but they're not answer. I hope anyone on them can slowly wean themselves off, and rely more on TMS to heal them. Many times, antidepressants tend to prolong depression or make it even worse.

19. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Hi I was recommended a tms Skype sessions and will start in the new year as they are expensive let me know how they go xx

20. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

I have been on Lyrica for Pain initially and the anxiety support is a side for me. I have found as the years went on I started to develop sever side effects . Nothing for the first 5 or 6 years then I started experiencing serious drowsiness it got so bad I ran my car into a ditch one day it hit me at the end of a working day and on the drive home my natural tiredness with the lyrica just switched me off behind the wheel. I was lucky I live very rurally and no one else was involved . I then started taking caffeine and red bull when driving home but my anxiety went through the roof and they then gave me xanax!! I then hit traffic cones on a motor way same situation driving home from work late. It was 100% Lyrica I know the feeling. I did not drive at night for several months at great inconvenience and reduced my lyrica to a smaller does and hope to remove it completely in the near future. Its been hard but I really was shocked how something I had taken for years suddenly overnight started to really effect me. So I am using TMS to help me move forward with my life while reducing drugs. Thats just my story and everyone's is different but I hope that buying into TMS and its brain origin will see me through getting free of meds its my time.Good luck