1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Huxley, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Huxley

Huxley New Member

Day 1 is happening a year after hearing about TMS. A friend shared the book the same week an Osteopath told me I had fibromyalgia and that I needed some scary unmentionables ruled out by a Neurologist! I felt like the Osteopath had crossed a line and diagnosed things he shouldn't have... but it made me receptive to other causes. After reading half of Dr. Sarno's book I felt a bit better. I put it down and carried on. Life got more interesting, the symptoms worsened, new ones joined them.

I thought I was a strong, never ill type but now that I'm reflecting properly, and with the knowledge that you have all shared, I can see I've had TMS for years. I've had the stubborn tendinitis, the jaw problems, the period where I had loads of headaches, that time my stomach killed and I knew that was stress, the rock solid neck and shoulders that cost a fortune in physiotherapy and massages. These separate incidents lasted between 6 months and two years. They were only ever seen in isolation and once over completely forgotten... until now.

My TMS is currently manifesting itself in the following ways:
    1. Lower back pain - restrictive, tight, sometimes sharp spasms, sometimes struggle to stand up straight. (Started Jan 2015)
    2. Shooting pain down leg
    3. upper arm ache and heaviness
    4. Tingling, pins and needles, sometimes burning sensation in arms and hands (this is when it got scary and I went to the Osteopath last summer)
    5. Tingling legs and feet
    6. Waking up with numb hands/arms
    7. Tingling, burning sensation in lips (First time in April 2016)
    8. Tingling, burning sensation in tongue (first time July 2016- really scared and went to GP and was referred to a Neurologist)
    9. Twitching legs
    I think the biggest cause of my worsening TMS symptoms is the worry about my health. The irony! I'm hoping that will soon be over. I've seen the Neurologist and he was positive. I'll have the MRI in a couple of weeks and that will hopefully prove him (and TMS) right. Blood tests are also coming back normal. I've been playing with the idea of TMS for ages but I always seem to get pulled back into the fear of being seriously ill by the scary symptoms/pain I've been experiencing. Instead of doing the structured education programme I would just use the forum for a bit of crisis management. I'd pop in to see if someone else here had had the same symptoms and it be TMS. I, of course, found examples here for all of them. This site has given me great comfort and reduced my anxiety, for a period of time. Now I need to do this properly and get better. So here I am, day 1! Wish me luck. I'm scared and tired and worried... but also trying to be hopeful. I can't wait to be better. Thank you in advance for your support. You've already been a great help.

readytoheal, scrat26 and Sarene like this.
  2. nelle

nelle Peer Supporter

WEll its all good news , when i read this it seams very clear to me its tms related , which is great because you will be able to find some relief !.

Huxley likes this.
  3. juderocketqueen

juderocketqueen New Member

Huxley, that could be me writing what you have written. You are definitely not all alone! Good luck. I am on day 7.

Huxley likes this.
  4. Huxley

Huxley New Member

Thank you for your comments. What I didn't cover above was my day 1 level of acceptance. Intellectually I get it... I believe Sarno is correct. I think many must have TMS and I'm likely one of them... but fear and my legs twitching more and more and when my lips start tingling... I just get scared. The fear feels like it's own symptom and it dominates my thoughts. I would say I'm 90% convinced I have TMS but that 10 % of fear seems to have so much power. The word acceptance sounds so calm and confident. I can't imagine feeling like that about my health.... it's been so long. The day one exercise of imagining a future without TMS helped me realise how much fear I've got. Your comments can only help chip away at that fear and prop up my 90%. Thank you.

juderocketqueen likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Huxley. I too only believed in TMS about 90 percent. I didn't heal from severe back pain until I finally believed 100 percent in TMS causing my pain. The increase in believing can be hard to do, but you can do it. Just keep saying a positive mantra like "I believe in TMS. There is nothing structurally wrong with me!"

juderocketqueen likes this.
  6. Huxley

Huxley New Member

Thank you so much Walt. I really appreciate your advice.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi again, Huxley. There are some very good free videos on Youtube about overcoming fear and also on living in the present. The two go together very well.

Have a restful holiday.