1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Thaxter, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Thaxter

Thaxter New Member

Well, I'm a good semi-lapsed Catholic and perfectionist, and because I was instructed to introduce myself on this forum in the Day 1 instructions, I am doing so, even though, in truth, I don't much like talking about myself or my problems.

To make a long story short -- I had suffered much with back pain, and reading Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno in December completely healed my pain. Oh yes, occasionally I will get twinges of pain, but I was able to conquer the fear or preoccupation by remembering Dr. Sarno whenever something would happen.

Strange to say, an old injury has popped up -- repetitive strain injury, or RSI. I first endured this many years ago as a young typist. Eventually I had to leave my job as a transcriptionist for a psychiatrist, and took up work as a security guard in an art museum, which required zero typing. From there I rapidly went into office work again at the museum, but was always careful and quick to say I could do any work except one that involved copious typing.

Fast forward many years later. I now work at home for a publishing concern. My typing duties are not onerous. In fact, I just noticed that I am typing here with little discomfort.

It is mostly using a mouse that is the problem. Repetitive clicking of the mouse, which causes the tendons on the back of my hand to become inflamed and painful.

I know this pain makes no sense. It makes no sense because:

1) I knit and crochet for hours on end with no pain from repetitive hand motion
    2) I used to play guitar and piano for hours on end with no pain
    3) People used to bang out long manuscripts on steel typewriters in the first half of the 20th century with no RSI -- because it didn't exist!
    4) I sometimes have pain in my left hand as well, which makes no sense, as I'm not mousing with that hand.

The truth is that I haven't wanted to return to Dr. Sarno because I dread examining my emotions. Yet, I understand that if I don't do the work involved (the mental and psychological work), the pain will return -- if not RSI, then something else. If I could just take a pain pill and magically make the symptoms disappear, how delighted I would be! But we know that doesn't work.

So this is Day 1. I will check in tomorrow for Day 2. I just ordered The Mind Body Prescription, to read a new work by Dr. Sarno, which I am taking to bed with me tonight. I feel certain I will be able to lick the RSI because I licked my back pain. But there is something insidious about this RSI -- I am more reluctant to accept the diagnosis because of my back history with it.

My goal is to eventually write a success story that can be added to this forum to help someone else. And to live without fear of losing my income.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome Thaxter,

I am glad you found this support community, and I appreciate reading your story. You know a lot about Dr. Sarno's method from direct experience, and this will be very helpful this go-round.

Yes, most people find this to be true. Gently inquiring into your emotions and the moment-to-moment way you treat yourself may seem daunting, but folks who have come through the SEP inevitably are thankful, not only for the TMS relief, but also for knowing themselves better. This is a common, genuine response, often from people who at the beginning had the same trepidation you do. So take heart!

Andy B

3. Thaxter

Thaxter New Member

Thank you so much, Andy. I am looking forward to working on Day 2 tonight. Already feeling better today. I keep laughing at the idea!

I realized that I surf the web all the time using my mouse with no issues. Again, none of this makes sense. It's related to fear of losing my work.

My goal is to follow this structured program so I don't forget the emotional work -- which has been the pattern of my life.

Appreciate your encouragement! :)
    Thaxter

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Welcome, Thaxter! Sounds like you're in the right place.
    I too experienced great recovery after reading Sarno's HBP. When I had another bout of severe pain, decades later, it took me two years to discover that it was TMS as well. The good news was that this wiki and the SEP were around for my second bout, and once again I feel as if I've been reborn.
    So yes, the legwork is necessary, but the results? Infinitely worth it!

5. Thaxter

Thaxter New Member

Thank you, Gigi -- I appreciate your kind words! It's Day 3 and I am doing fine. The pain seems to have migrated to my left hand. But what of it, right? I am ignoring it. :)

I am terrible at staying with a structured anything, but having people offer support makes sticking with it worth it. :) Thanks again.