1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1- So much wishing that this works.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by wolfcat, Feb 19, 2020.

1. wolfcat

wolfcat New Member

Hi everyone! It's great to find resources like this online for free. After few weeks of hesitation I decided to start the program.
    I'm suffering chronic low back pain for almost 4 years now and I've gone through all the medical routines, been diagnosed with a "non-active" herniated disc and tried everything in earth except surgery. Another pain manifested in one of my shoulders one year ago, coming and going, extending to middle back and arm (tennis elbow), chronic for the last 4 months. I was diagnosed with a protusion last year regarding this pain, but the tennis elbow condition appeared 10 years ago, and returns every now and then for a couple of weeks. Before the back pain I went through a burn-out depression (2 years) and before, I suffered from chronic fatigue (2 years), and before chronic cystitis (2-3 years). Sometimes the ailments cross, but I've been fully aware that this is one thing that moves and that the main reason is emotional. I've been doing psychotherapy for few years now, and the psycho-somatic/pain topic is one of the things I've worked on. It definitely helped lots with the depression but the pain it's still there. I came up with dr. Sarno's book in audio format few weeks ago (almost finished it) and I could totally relate to it all. Now, it didn't change my pain patterns at all, and I must confess that there's some skepticism in me. I believe in all the success stories, but I have the impression my pain is a really stubborn one, mainly because I've worked a lot with my emotions already- though, certainly, not under the light of TMS theory.
    Anyways, I'm giving this a try now, and trying to convince myself it's gonna work this time!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Okcowgirl, Aimee88 and plum like this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the forum. I understand your scepticism, we’ve all been there but hopefully the free programs on here (there is also one by Alan Gordon that complements the SEP beautifully) will help you greatly.

wishing you all the best and look forward to seeing you on the forum.

plum x

3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

You're on the right path now and at the right place! No problem is more "stubborn" or insurmountable than another. We are only limited by our beliefs. With some patience and practice, anyone can get better and no one is excluded from that truth.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome wolfcat,

I was hung up on this piece when I first engaged this work. I had done many years of in-depth psychological work. In The Divided Mind, Dr. Sarno discusses this issue, and it was of great help for me.

He speaks of a woman who could not see how this method applied to her because she had done so much therapy in the past. Dr. Sarno suggests that she need only apply what she already knows about herself to his theory, make the personal connections for herself in the light of his TMS work. I wanted to share this with you.

Knowing ourselves does not mean we will be free of symptoms, but connecting our knowledge of ourselves to Dr. Sarno's theory can do the trick. So the way is open for you!

Andy

miffybunny likes this.
  5. zenyatta20

zenyatta20 New Member

i just started too. I have back pain, and had cystitis. I got over that. I believe we can do this.