1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 - new to TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by openmind, Aug 28, 2022.

1. openmind

openmind Newcomer

Hi everyone,
    I only recently learned about the brains connection to chronic pain when hearing Alan Gordon on the Science Versus podcast. Internet searches led me here and learning about TMS and I was surprised to see a long history of discussion on this topic.

I've suffered from back pain while sleeping /laying flat on my back for extended periods of time, for the last 10 years. As a healthy women in my 30s I've gone from Dr to Dr and treatment to treatment without success, and unable to get satisfying answers to my questions from any of them. I've developed skepticism and mistrust with these providers who give different and conflicting information (you need scan XYZ, you need injections, you need another round of PT, you should wear inserts in your shoes, shoe inserts are bad for you, it's your core, it's your glutes....). Few seem to be willing to take the time to listen and truly strive to understand. I've tried so many different things. I'm so willing to try this, but know I'll need to work on keeping an "open mind" and believing in the process after so much disappointment.

I'm willing to put in the work. I know I'll need to watch out for my type A personality. My tendency to obsess and overthink and over analyze and judge myself harshly.

I'm glad to find the day by day guide. I value the guidance, and I see so much benefit in the emphasis on changing my thought processes and mindset on myself and the world around me, that this alone feels so worthwhile.

Anyway thank you for this resource and I look forward to this journey.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    JanAtheCPA likes this.