1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New Program Day 1: Introduction

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GShaw

GShaw Peer Supporter

Good Luck with the program!

I think you will be very surprised with your results if you stick with the program. Remember it all takes time and also remember, just because you might get through the program without the result maybe you hoped for, don't give up.

My first time around with this program was October 2018. Long before this time I was a believer that some level of my pain was due to stress and my life. I struggled to believe my shin pain at that time was mainly due to my mind. How could it be, I am the one feeling this pain every time I go for a walk. It only made sense to me that the action of stepping was causing my pain.

As soon as I began to approach the program with an open mind, my results started to develop. Today I am able to walk hours at a time with pretty much no shin pain.

Just like yourself for about two years I avoided activities I enjoy a lot of the time because of my shin pain. I often still went walking but never enjoyed my walks as much as I wanted to. Today walking for me is probably the most positive aspect of my life. Another aspect I enjoy is dancing and for about two years I avoided this because I knew it would be painful.

I am a believer in this program and believe you'll notice major improvements.

My biggest challenge, dealing with many different fears in my life.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    PrplMntnMjsty, Kaos and Josh Howard like this.
  2. NameK

NameK Well known member

Thank you Alan for posting this as I didn't know you had tinnitus as a symptom. I've had tinnitus since November 2018 and I'm not sure how mine was caused bit it doesnt matter how you got it ? Even after a concert ? It's always tms ?. I've also been dealing with sinus pressure, ear pain for the last couple of weeks. My brain lnstantly thinks omg you might have an undiagnosed infection ! But if Im sure I would be servely sick by now.

My brain always thinks worst case scenario and probably thinks my tinnitus is from all those concerts I've been to headphone or gaming headset use and playing my car stero driving all day in the last 5 years but I know that's not the case.

After being sick of seeing walk in doctors who claimed I had an ear infection after getting it flushed (I took the antibiotics for 10 days guess what it didnt help) so I saw my gp last week and sure enough she said it didnt look like I had an ear infection.

So i assuming my sinis pressure / ear pain is from stress or a cold that wont go away. The ear pain is on my left side and my tinnitus is on the right side. I never got my right side flushed as it didnt need to be apprently.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  3. Fran

Fran Newcomer

Dr. Batson recommended your program. Full Speed Ahead!

4. SRcombs

SRcombs Peer Supporter

This question is for Alan. Hey is there a printable version of this anywhere? I want to show this to my mom and she doesn't do computers, so a print off would make it easier her to follow along. Obviously it can't involve the videos, but the information is so her. My mom has been afraid of everything practically her whole life and I think this might really help her. I know I could copy and paste every day into a word doc for her, but what a pain.

PrplMntnMjsty likes this.
  5. GShaw

GShaw Peer Supporter

Hi Fran,

Great recommendation! I hope things have been going well for you with Alan Gordon's program.

Wishing you nothing but great success!

Greg

6. Paige NeJame

Paige NeJame New Member

I’m on day 5 and have to thank you for this PUBLICLY available resource. I’m a patient of Dr. Sarno’s from the 1980s and boy, is this good. I cured my back pain but have never been able to get rid of a nasty pain in the arch of my foot. This program is my answer!

7. westb

westb Well known member

I've made a promise to myself to work through Alan's wonderful program again. My acceptance of my condition as definitely a mind/body issue (digestive issues and pelvic/rectal pain) has deepened after a difficult few months, and I am looking foward to approaching Alan's suggestions again. Thank you Alan, Forest and everyone else for your generosity in putting it in the public domain. Speaking for myself I am very grateful.

8. rlong98

rlong98 Newcomer

With a torn “anything” or degeneration - how do you lay down, look down or do anything with such rigidity or instability? Even Sarno doesn’t call a ligament issue TMS. Just curious cuz I have degen and instability and need help

9. Tilli

Tilli New Member

#Day 1
    I’m excited to do this program. After thinking about the abuse I survived in my life. I’m convinced that it’s all connected to my pain. My arthritis. My strokes. Bring on the relief !!
    Thank you Dr Gietzen for speaking at our support group about This.

westb likes this.
  10. Tilli

Tilli New Member

Dr sarnos book arrives today. Can’t wait to read it.

11. Erbear

Erbear New Member

12. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Welcome to 2020, TMSers.
    I am doing the program again.
    I have a short memory, prone to denial. The -ism in perfectionism stands for INCREDIBLY SHORT MEMORY.
    Hence, while I knew the pain might be TMS, I was confused.
    I have been feeling massive feelings and I thought that should be good enough to keep all pain at bay. I mean, I really know myself, my dreams, my rage, my perfectionism and shame, anger, depression, anxiety, PTSD... the list goes on, from varying times in my life.
    This round began with being thrown off my young horse last June and suffering a moderate concussion, out cold for under a minute but definitely out. Sweet horse was spooked and simply bolted. I have forgiven him. At least, I think I have.
    It's complicated. I sobbed for weeks on his back, in his corral, leaning against him just wailing as if all the grief in the world was channelling through me. Wasn't that enough to keep the pain at bay? Apparently not. My unconscious has its own agenda.
    When I was thrown, I was still in grief from the terrible Woolsey Fire that burned my horses out of their long time pasture in Malibu. I loved it there. I grieved loss of place... a profound grief... and then, the trauma of the concussion, unlike any physical trauma I have ever had.
    I wrote to the TMS-Wiki about it at the time, felt I was staying really close to myself through the processing of it. AND in August I hurt my shoulder doing too many fast pushups during an intense kettlebell workout. No POPPING NOISE announcing TMS. I just couldn't shake the hurt.
    I knew enough to keep exercising, to do planks, kettlebells (moderate to light weight!!!), yoga, stretching, blah blah. I got back on my horse five weeks after the fall. I'm still very tentative but cantered yesterday for only the second time since June.
    I thought I was giving myself space to heal, and I really thought I was awake to my feelings.
    Apparently not.
    My horse is like a sensor - he knows when I am covering up fear - so I feel very genuine working through the fear, the anger, the grief.
    My unconscious seems to be even more enraged and afraid than I give her credit for. So, today, during my workout, I spoke to my unconscious and - shouted - NO PAIN, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG! Stop the physical therapy!! Don't get an MRI, you already had an x-ray!!
    The wizard PT woman said to me, "Your shoulder needs a little love."
    I think she's on to something. More lovingkindness!
    I read something from Steve O... he was a little snarky about a man needing a divorce to cure his backpain. I am in a complex and rich relationship and there are times when I would love to run away and stop growing... I can experience a father-transference that is FIERCE! And I can own it.
    I feel so terribly betrayed by my horse, by climate change and the fires. The fires in Australia have just broken my heart. I need to grieve fully, rage often and safely. Even EFT has helped, so I am cued up for a tapping session!
    Coming at this from all angles, I am off to walk the dogs, putting a smile on my face, glad I checked in and said it all OUT LOUD.
    No shame. I am simply perfect in all this imperfection.

PrplMntnMjsty and Kaos like this.
  13. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

hey, no one answered you? Gosh! clearly not as interactive as some may wish.
    we are here.
    message us!?
    hope you didn't give up!

14. Vzlana

Vzlana New Member

Hi, just signed up for curable and listened to your podcast. Love you guys. Thank you for all you’re doing, my pain seems to be rebelling and subsiding all at once. Since I joined curable I’ve been getting pain all over. It’s mainly in my back but I’ve gotten it on my arm, my scapula, my knee, my shoulder. I’ve been doing somatic tracking and have found every new pain almost entertaining. They have only lasted a day or 2. Thank you for your sense of humor. The “bunny” podcast made me literally LOL. YOU GUYS ARE DA BOMB!

15. kimbob369

kimbob369 New Member

I'm restarting this program again after about two months where my pain was subsiding.

Unfortunately today (The fourth of July), my pain seems like it came back in multiple areas again.. My feet are always hurting to some degree, but my left knee and back, slight left hip starting in some pain today.
    It doesn't help we are amid the Covid-19 pandemic which has escalated dramatically in CA here,and I feel completely isolated so there are things going on besides quitting my job last week and going through Covid testing (negative thank God).
    HEY! No wonder my pain is coming out.. just text book!

16. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hang in there Kimbob! You had some relief, so use this. Spend some time every day recalling the success you've had. Understand that what you describe --The Covid, the job change all explain the symptoms, and relax about it as best you can. You're already having success.

kimbob369 likes this.
  17. she

she New Member

Giving this another go.... a big relapse occurring. Remaining hopeful from UK

18. greger

greger New Member

I am so happy I found this site. I have read 2 of Dr. Sarno’s books and definitely see how my pain is not a physical issue.

‘thanks for doing this daily program, I am hopeful.

19. Luz

Luz Newcomer

Es muy interesante. El problema es que no entiendo inglés.
    Los lextos los traduce Google per si hay videos u audio..... Imposible entenderlos.
    Necesito ayuda . Mi mente está nublada con tantísimo dolor. Gracias

20. mbo

mbo Well known member

Hola Luz,
    escríbeme a miquelb3@gmail.com